Lead Software Engineer
Guild, the leading education benefits platform and one of Denver's fastest growing startups, is increasing economic mobility for working adults in America and providing education and support to help every student survive and thrive in the economy of tomorrow. Our platform helps employers offer education as a benefit to their employees by connecting employers' workforces with our network of nonprofit universities and education institutions that focus on serving the needs of working adults. And, our team of retention coaches helps each employee navigate the path back to school, providing individualized support from day one through graduation. In order to accelerate our growth and achieve our mission to serve 1000s more students, we've raised over $70 million from top tier investors including Felicis Ventures, Bessemer Venture Partners, and Redpoint Ventures (among other social impact and VC partners!).
As a Lead Software Engineer, you will oversee a high performing team to innovate and build software that helps students take advantage of Guild’s affordable education programs and coaching services. You will be tasked with growing and mentoring a team of creative engineers, who will build products that are intuitive, easy to use, and provide a frictionless experience for our users. Moreover, you’ll use your passion for writing clean, well-tested, and reusable code to build high quality software that will scale efficiently with our continued business growth.
You will love this role if are excited about making a difference with technology by building solutions that connect students, employers, and universities to deliver education at an affordable price, ultimately changing the landscape for how we think about delivering education products to learners across the country.
A day in our open, collaborative workspace might look like:
- Leading a team of engineers building high quality software products for our employers, education partners, and students – architect and design well-tested software from the ground up
- Proactively engaging with the team whether gathering requirements, choosing technology, deploying a solution in production, or leading and participating in day-to-day activities via our agile sprints, daily standups, planning, and retros
- Mentoring other engineers on our team – we’ll succeed, learn, and grow together, and sharing your expertise while collaboratively solving complex problems or pair programming
- Working closely with our product team to ensure that project plans, stories, and estimates are accurate and ensure that features delivered meet requirements and are delivered on-time
- Continuing to build new features and maintain existing Guild software programs, often integrating multiple internal systems and third party APIs in the process
- Collaborating with engineers, product managers, and designers including Stafford, Silas, Elana, Matt and Christian.
In this role, you’ll expand your expertise by:
- Designing new software products, learning new technologies, participating in code reviews and engineering sharing with other developers
- Taking on a cross-functional role that will expose you to the ins and outs of Guild (working with our Product, Design, Client Success, and Student Services teams)
- Receiving feedback through our learning-focused, twice annual Structured Growth Conversations
You’ll know if you’re successful by:
- Deploying high quality, well-tested code and features on a regular basis
- Fully integrating and helping to improve our agile development software process
- Delivering software solutions with your team that are high quality and built for scale
- Thriving in fast-paced and high-growth environment
- Making an impact with our students by building tools and features that enable users to take advantage of our education benefits and easily enroll in programs
- Partnering cross-functionally to build products that help students take advantage of Guild’s affordable education programs and coaching services
You’ll join a team:
- With various backgrounds – from traditional higher education, to athletic coaches, to mental health professionals, to consultants (and more!)
- Of learners & problem-solvers dedicated to our dual mission of changing education in America while building a successful, high-growth company
- Committed to building a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment that you’d support every day
What you’ll add to Guild – as an individual and part of the broader team:
- Experience building new products, unit and integration testing, and doing continuous integration and deployment (CircleCI, Jenkins, AWS)
- Familiarity with data structures and databases (PostgreSQL, Elasticsearch, Redis, DynamoDB) and modern source control (Github)
- Passion for higher education and our mission – Guild is pioneering a new path for education as a benefit in a complicated and regulated space – success means quickly learning the landscape and effectively adapting your expertise
- A demonstrated curiosity and interest in keeping up and experimenting with new technologies – you enjoy technical reading and want to share engineering best practices
- Experience in fast-growth, venture backed startups