Xero is a beautiful, easy-to-use platform that helps small businesses and their accounting and bookkeeping advisors grow and thrive.
At Xero, our purpose is to make life better for people in small business, their advisors, and communities around the world. This purpose sits at the centre of everything we do. We support our people to do the best work of their lives so that they can help small businesses succeed through better tools, information and connections. Because when they succeed they make a difference, and when millions of small businesses are making a difference, the world is a more beautiful place.
How you’ll make an impact
You’ll work in collaboration with other Xeros to help create and deliver beautiful software to our customers, faster. You’ll model the standard for engineering excellence at Xero, supporting your team to grow their technical capability and improve development practices.
You’ll undertake software application development on applications in our suite of products (including new ones), contributing to new or improved experiences for our customers, internal and external.
You’ll contribute to the technical direction of the product group, helping grow our cross functional environment by identifying technical gaps, promoting capability growth, and championing & demonstrating modern principles and practices. You'll help build and manage software that solves engineering problems at scale. You will be enabled to seek clarity with technical complexities and be able to demonstrate smart ways to simplify. You’ll be able to make data-driven decisions that will release value early to solve Xero customers' problems more effectively.
Day in the life of our team
- We work in a global company with offices around the globe, which means a lot of stuff happens when we're asleep. You'll probably start your morning reading over Slack and catching up on anything that might be relevant to us.
- Then, you'll go into stand-up with your cross-functional team. Have some fun, chat about your morning, give and receive updates on work in progress and communicate anything that's happening that's taking up your brain space.
- After stand-up, you might go into a pair programming session with your fellow peers or into another team meeting to understand work, or it might be a day of quiet focus time working on your own assigned task.
- You'll also be constantly validating work with your product owner and designer.
- During the week, your team will likely have refinement session(s) led by your Product Owner and retrospectives facilitated amongst yourselves on a rotating basis.
- Once a week, you'll have a 1:1 with your direct manager to chat about anything else on your mind.
- You will mentor and coach other team members regularly, promote innovation, engineering practices, and design new features and experiences.
Tech we use often, and how we use it
- We work on two different product stacks; our 1st generation product and a newer modernized stack with microservices.
- When working on the modernized stack, you'll be writing .NET Core code which is containerized and deployed using Kubernetes infrastructure. You'll be working with SQL Server but might also have a bit of DynamoDB sauce on the side. You'll be using a lot of React for the frontend and our in-house JS/CSS framework.
- While writing code, you'll also be adding tests as you go using Jest, Xunit, and mock dependencies. You'll also be defining the deployment pipelines for these components in TeamCity Kotlin, and you might use a bit of kubectl to debug your K8S cluster.
- When working in our 1st generation product, you can expect to be writing .NET code, vanilla JS and JQuery in the frontend, and queries against an existing SQL Server database.
- The code is deployed in AWS EC2 instances using Octopus Deploy, and for the infrastructure, you will use a simple custom tool that publishes cloud formation templates in AWS.
- Last but not least, you will also be monitoring the impact of your releases using SumoLogic, New Relic, and CloudWatch.
- As a team member of a distributed organization, you'll also be documenting where it makes sense, leveraging our remote tools to keep everyone in the loop.
- If solving problems using tech is your jam, we would love to hear from you!
What you’ll bring with you
- Expert in your area of specialization.
- Able to experiment with new languages and tooling.
- Ability to make code design decisions for all teams’ products.
- Experience in auditing teams codebases, aiming to maintain high standards for security, testability, and ability to make changes easily.
- Expertise in distributed systems architecture.
- Ability to lead or facilitate discussions on application design.
- Experience in leading discussions and implementation for scaling products to 2-10 times the number of users.
- Able to ensure team products meet Xero's various engineering standards.
- Experience in contributing to discussions around new standards and revisions to existing ones.
- Able to act as incident coordinator in production incidents.
- Experience in coaching and mentoring engineers across multiple disciplines.
Xero celebrates diversity. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment where our employees can do the best work of their lives. We are committed to transparency and to equal pay for equal work. Total compensation for this role includes a base salary of $145,000 - $150,000, commensurate with experience, plus an annual grant of Xero shares, calculated as a percentage of base salary.
Xero offers access to low-cost, high-quality health care options through Cigna and Kaiser (in CA & CO only)
Xero will match 100% on the first 3% of 401k contributions plus 50% match on next 2% of contributions
Employees enjoy 21 days of paid time off per year
Employees also have 10 days of wellbeing leave to care for their minds, bodies, and families
US employees enjoy 11 paid holidays per year
Xero offers an industry-leading 26 weeks of parental leave at 100% pay
Xero offers a number of employee wellness programs, to include yoga, mindfulness and nutrition workshops, EAP, free flu shots, team meals, and a monthly wellbeing allowance
Diversity of people brings diversity of thought, and we like that. A collaborative and inclusive environment is important to us. Working at Xero will provide you with a diverse and inclusive environment alongside people who will respect, challenge and support you to have fun while you do the best work of your life. We are a place where personal development, flexible working, innovation, and well-being are not just inspired but celebrated. We value our people and offer a wide range of compelling benefits and perks, including Xero shares.
Xero’s collaborative culture is underscored by our values - #Ownership, #Challenge, #Beautiful, #Human and #Team - which empower us to understand and serve customers, attract top talent and continuously innovate. From the moment you step through our doors, you’ll feel welcome and supported to do the best work of your life.