Lead Frontend Engineer - Permanent Remote at Xero
At Xero, our purpose is to make life better for people in small business, their advisors, and communities around the world. This purpose sits at the centre of everything we do. We support our people to do the best work of their lives so that they can help small businesses succeed through better tools, information and connections. Because when they succeed they make a difference, and when millions of small businesses are making a difference, the world is a more beautiful place.
How you'll make an impact
You'll work in collaboration with other Xeros to help create and deliver beautiful software to our customers, faster. You'll model the standard for engineering excellence at Xero, supporting your team to grow their technical capability and improve development practices.
You'll undertake software application development on applications in our suite of products (including new ones), contributing to new or improved experiences for our customers, internal and external.
You'll contribute to the technical direction of the product group, helping grow our cross functional environment by identifying technical gaps, promoting capability growth, and championing & demonstrating modern principles and practices.
You'll help build and manage software that solves engineering problems at scale. You will be enabled to seek clarity with technical complexities and be able to demonstrate smart ways to simplify. You'll be able to make data-driven decisions that will release value early to solve Xero customers' problems more effectively.
What you'll do
- Create software - Guide technical design to ensure implementation of architecture principles and good engineering practice. Identify the technical blockers and waste that slow down the team. Work with engineering leadership and delivery teams to identify technical capabilities that need to be grown. Maintain in-depth system knowledge across all system boundaries relating to the team's components as well as hands-on development expertise.
- Test software - Guide the quality engineering practices for your team, identifying and resolving challenges to ensure processes and tools are optimized for their context and engineers have the required knowledge and skills. Contribute to and champion Xero's quality strategy and standards.
- Resolve issues - Recognize and solve for common patterns of failure in the team's delivery practices, preventing future issues by improving skills, processes or tooling. Measure the costor value of issues, and often lead incident responses and post-mortems.
- Engineering standards & frameworks - Contribute to Xero's engineering standards and frameworks. Work closely with engineering leadership to apply standards to software and delivery processes.
- Continuous improvement - Proactively maintain, grow and share knowledge of development technologies used in the development of Xero's software applications.
- Deliver infrastructure in a production environment - Champion automation of delivery processes and ensure deployment pipelines are fit for purpose. Coach and support engineers to ensure all software is running as expected and proactively work to prevent customer facing problems.
- Modern software and delivery practices - Be a proactive champion of agile and delivery practices who coaches and develops others in this space in order to ensure a consistent approach to ways of working.
- Recruitment - Participate in interviews and recruitment processes.
How you'll do it
- Live Xero's vision and values - Keeps Xero's vision and values at the forefront of decision-making and leadership. Communicates and helps others understand the importance of the vision and values. Translates the vision and values into day-to-day activities and behaviors.
- Communication skills - Communicates complex ideas skillfully and with nuance, and establishes alignment within the wider organization. Maintains awareness and understanding of the team's vision and strategy to help make better technical decisions.
- Build relationships - Builds and maintains trust and credibility with a wide range of internal stakeholders, and supporting teams from across Xero.
- Growth mindset - Demonstrates that competency is not fixed but is enhanced through dedication and hard work. Can lead, coach and provide feedback to others on development plans.
- Innovation and delivery - Leads teams to innovate and deliver technology and solve customer problems through software.
- Coaching and mentorship - Role models best practice mentoring and coaching, encourages others to mentor each other and creates ways for them to do so.
- Evangelism - Promotes Xero as a great, innovative company and workplace to the wider industry.
- Work collaboratively - Empowers and promotes high performing teams.
- Self-learning - Maintains in-depth knowledge of advances and learnings in technologies relevant to Xero's engineering environment.
What you'll bring with you
- Experience of Front end base development using the React library.
- Able to experiment with new languages and tooling.
- Ability to make code design decisions for all teams' products.
- Experience in auditing teams codebases, aiming to maintain high standards for security, testability, and ability to make changes easily.
- Expertise in distributed systems architecture.
- A background in automation and scripting; development, infrastructure, build and deploy pipelines and monitoring
- Exposure with cloud computing preferably in AWS
As a permanent remote worker at Xero we want to ensure you are getting the same #beautiful employee experience as our in-office Xero's. Permanent remote Xero's will benefit from a virtual ergonomic work assessment and funding to assist with the improvement of your at home work setup. Xero will also fund up to 4 trips a year to your most relevant region Xero office. You are part of our #team and we want to see you thrive!
Diversity of people brings diversity of thought, and we like that. A collaborative and inclusive environment is important to us. Working at Xero will provide you with a diverse and inclusive environment alongside people who will respect, challenge and support you to have fun while you do the best work of your life. We are a place where personal development, innovation, and well-being are not just inspired but celebrated.
We value our people and offer a wide range of compelling benefits and perks, including Xero shares and great parental leave policies. Xero's collaborative culture is underscored by our values - #Ownership, #Challenge, #Beautiful, #Human and #Team - which empower us to understand and serve customers, attract top talent and continuously innovate. From the moment you step through our doors, you'll feel welcome and supported to do the best work of your life.