Guild is looking for Lead Backend Engineers to build features, design and implement APIs, and improve the reliability of our systems as we scale our product.
We build our systems using tools such as Python, AWS Services (Lambda, SQS, RDS, S3, etc.) GraphQL, and SQL. Experience with those is a huge plus but familiarity with other languages, API protocols, and databases work for us! We look for engineers with a bias towards action that build with simplicity, reliability, and scalability in mind.
As a Lead Backend Engineer, you will:
- Design, build, and own new services and infrastructure.
- Create code that is understandable, testable, and shared across teams.
- Share knowledge and feedback across teams and stakeholders.
- Lead engineering efforts with your team and stakeholders.
- Deliver on time and be accountable to your team and stakeholders.
You are a strong fit for this role if you have:
- Empathy for your customers and teammates
- A bias toward action and getting things done
- A learners mindset
- In-depth knowledge of multiple programming languages. Our team uses Python today, but many on our team hadn’t before joining
- Experience working with and operating SQL databases
- Experience with distributed systems and service-oriented architectures
- Experience or a genuine interest in AWS services including Lambda, SQS, RDS and S3
- You like to dive in and work up and down the technology stack
- You’ve owned and operated services end-to-end, from debugging and testing to release management and monitoring
- The ability to set aside your biases and choose the right tool for the job
- The ability to communicate well in person, on paper, or in code. You can explain technical concepts to product managers and other engineers
- Demonstrated curiosity and interest in keeping up and experimenting with new technologies.
- Willingness to embrace change and work within a fast-paced environment.
- Passion for higher education and our mission.
Our team emphasizes Guild company values in the following ways:
- Be an Owner - Our work is tied to outcomes for our stakeholders. We set clear expectations for delivery.
- Scale for Students; Students for Scale - We build consistently, test everything, keep an eye on it, and handle failure with grace.
- Have a Learner’s Mindset - Always be learning and share what you’ve learned. With our team, other teams, the business, and the developer community.
- Be Teammates - Respect underlies all relationships between teammates. Respecting each others' time, respecting expertise, and elevating our teammates. Better outcomes follow from leveraging the collective over the individual.
Guild is increasing economic mobility for working adults by partnering with the largest employers in the country to offer education as a benefit to their employees via our marketplace of nonprofit universities and education institutions. Guild’s proprietary technology platform facilitates the administration of this innovative benefit and our team of coaches helps each employee navigate the path back to school, providing individualized support from day one through program completion.
We also just became the latest female-led company to hit a $1billion valuation and the only B-corp with those qualifications. Our Series D round was led by Ken Chenault, General Catalyst Partners chairman and former CEO of AMEX, and joined by Emerson Collective, LeadEdge Capital, and Iconiq.
Guild Education is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.