Junior Software Engineer at Wowza Media Systems
Wowza Media Systems, the global leader in live video streaming technology, is looking for an innovative and motivated Junior Software Engineer to work on our flagship Wowza Streaming Cloud service. We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment for all people to thrive in.
Wowza Streaming Cloud allows users to stream video to viewers at scale.
Wowza Streaming Cloud runs at scale. On a typical day this last summer, we saw 2.5 million API requests, and over 14,000 video transcoder starts which streamed 8374.5 hours of video (348 days worth), which generated 127 TB of data, and over 1.25 billion lines of log data. Wowza Streaming Cloud is a highly reliable service, and our customers depend on it to reliably stream events.
What you will be doing:
- Designing, developing, testing, training and production customer support.
- Participation in cross-functional projects
- Writing high quality code, participating in code reviews and creating high quality documentation supporting the design/coding tasks
- Participating in internal projects that help scale the organization, implement best practices, and improve our methodology.
- Analyzing and addressing defects identified by QA and tech support.
- Filing patents as appropriate
Experience We’d Like You to Have:
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, a related field or equivalent work experience.
Technologies you would get to learn:
- Ruby on Rails
- Restful & GraphQL API's
- Kubernetes/Docker (as well as Helm, Rancher, CircleCI)
- Elastic Search
- Multiple clouds (AWS, Google Cloud, Microsoft Azure)
- Streaming video technologies (such as H.264 and HLS)
Processes we currently use
- SAFe (Scaled Agile Framework)
This is a high visibility software engineering position where you can see the impact of your work. Wowza Streaming Cloud is undergoing rapid growth, and your success can lead to growth and a larger position in the organization.
Compensation and Benefits
Salary: $70,000 - $85,000
Wowza offers a comprehensive benefits package which includes the following:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance available 1st day of employment
- Generous Paid Time Off
- 401(k) with strong company match
- Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account
- Employer Paid Basic Life Insurance and AD&D
- Voluntary Life Insurance (Employee/Spouse/Child)
- Parental Leave
- Short-Term and Long-Term Disability
- Training & Development
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
Who We Are:
Wowza Media Systems is a streaming software, cloud services, and hardware provider aimed at powering live streaming for today’s most innovative companies. We frequent Streaming Media’s list of Companies That Matter Most in Online Video and Readers’ Choice Awards, as well as Built in Colorado’s list of Best Medium Workplaces.
Cofounders David Stubenvoll and Charlie Good first set out to create cool stuff with like-minded people in 2005. In the fourteen years that have followed, Wowza’s become the gold standard for streaming. One third of content delivery networks (CDNs) have Wowza’s technology built in and more that 24,000 organizations across the globe power their streaming with Wowza.
With adoption rates exploding, use cases proliferating, and video quality increasing, the streaming industry’s influence on everyday life continues to grow. And when it comes to live video, one thing rings true: If you can dream it, the experts at Wowza can help you build it.
Why Work for Wowza:
Wowza’s team works to connect the larger community with our passion for tech. From live-streaming graduation ceremonies for local high schools to participating in events like SheTech, employees are able to cultivate the same creative energy that first brought the company to life. Employees are encouraged to take ownership of their role with limited oversight — and coworkers are happy to help one another out.
Wowza Media Systems is an equal opportunity employer, committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment for all people to thrive in.
Wowza’s office is currently in the mountain foothills in Golden, Colorado. A significant portion of Wowza colleagues work “remotely” from their homes, both outside of Colorado and outside of the US (we have an office in Berlin, Germany). This role is open to both local Denver candidates and “remote” candidates around the world who meet the requirements of the role.