What you’ll do
- Create software - Care deeply about customer problems and technical excellence, produce robust high quality and scalable software. Relentlessly automate any manual processes. Contribute to technical solution designs that embrace a quality-first approach. Participate in code reviews.
- Test software - Design and automate testing activities that effectively reveal product quality across a range of risk areas and acceptance criteria. Collaborate with the team and understand their own responsibility for quality.
- Resolve issues - Triage and solve development and production issues, and be able to quickly track down the root cause. Communicate the impact of the problem to stakeholders in terms of business value, helping to set a priority for the resolution. Actively participate in incident responses.
- Engineering standards & frameworks - Maintain knowledge of Xero’s current and emerging engineering standards and practices. Develop and deploy software that meets Xero's standards.
- Continuous improvement - Maintain knowledge of current and emerging development technologies and methodologies. Develop expertise in one or more programming languages and ecosystem specific technologies.
- Deliver infrastructure in a production environment - Maintain and monitor delivery processes. Ensure all software is running as expected and proactively work to prevent customer facing problems.
How you’ll do it
- Live Xero’s vision and values - Keep Xero’s vision and values at the forefront of decision-making and actions. Communicate and help others understand the importance of the vision and values. Translate the vision and values into day-to-day activities and behaviors.
- Communication skills - Communicate with the wider team appropriately, focusing on timeliness and good quality conversations.
- Build relationships - Successfully build trust and credibility with stakeholders and team.
- Growth mindset - Understand that competency is not fixed but is enhanced through dedication and hard work.
- Innovation and delivery - Develop a track record of innovating and delivering technology in a team and solving customer’s problems through software.
- Coaching and mentorship - Mentor people under guidance of Senior Engineer & People Lead.
- Work collaboratively - Work with others to achieve a good outcome using a working style that suits the problem at hand.
- Self-learning - Maintains in-depth knowledge of advances and learnings in technologies relevant to Xero’s engineering environment.
What you’ll bring with you
- Ability to debug across a technology stack
- Confident in upgrading tooling and technology underlying products
- Proficient in roll out and maintenance of cloud infrastructure for team's products.
- Able to implement resilient software design patterns
- Able to maintain, update and document the team’s APIs
- Familiar with application and infrastructure security concerns and proactively mitigates issues
- Regularly practices test automation and trunk based development
- Demonstrated ability to respond to production incidents