As an Information Architect at CircleCI, you will have the unique opportunity to define and build the user interface, user experience, and architecture of the CircleCI Documentation site (CircleCI.com/Docs) and CircleCI Academy (CircleCI.com/Training). By using analytical thinking and creativity, you will develop, communicate and implement technology architecture improvements while also collaborating with internal engineering teams to ensure alignment with other infrastructure. This work may include working with a team of designers, researchers, and developers.
The successful candidate for this job will have a strong technical curiosity along with a self-starting, proactive mentality. While you will have freedom and autonomy to architect and design a new content platform, you will need to collaborate with very technical users and find solutions to sophisticated technical issues. As a part of this role, you will be expected to understand and explain the tradeoffs between different types of web architectures and development tools needed to architect an efficient documentation site. A solid background and experience working with technical writing and training platforms, both as a writer and a developer, is absolutely necessary for this role.What you'll do:
- Program scripts and other tools to help technical writers and instructional designers author and publish engaging content.
- Conduct an initial assessment of the docs website to evaluate its usability, visual design, and content to improve structural efficiency.
- Develop strategies for site improvement and better user experience by crafting the information structure, workflow, and navigation system.
- Prioritize information into sitemaps to build an efficient user experience for a developer audience.
- Build a documentation platform from the ground up that supports multiple languages and the translation management process.
- Propose and recommend software tools and infrastructure to improve content creation and publication.
- Partner closely with the User Experience team and Brand team to ensure the documentation site follows brand guidelines and user experience standard methodologies.
- 5+ years experience crafting front-end interfaces, large-scale websites, and applications.
- Demonstrated ability to lead a project from start to finish, including building consensus among various teams and individuals, and executing on a shared vision for a new documentation platform.
- Understanding of user experience, web design and development processes, methods and principles.
- Familiarity with API documentation and automatic generation of developer content.
- Understanding of SEO and how information architecture, sitemaps, and other aspects of design directly impacts SEO.
- Experience developing or working with architectural concepts, strategies, roadmaps, reference architectures, architectural patterns, frameworks and principles.
- Strong visualization skills with the ability to clearly communicate, in writing and orally.
- Knowledge of the CI/CD space is a huge plus!
- Aware of current trends and new technologies in information architecture and design.
- Experience working with remote teams.
- Experience in data analytics.
- Prior experience working with documentation teams.
We know there’s no such thing as a “perfect” candidate - we’re all a work in progress and are growing new skills and capabilities all the time. CircleCI welcomes those passionate about learning and evolving, so however you identify and whatever your background, if this looks like a role where you could do your best work, we hope you’ll apply.Work remotely with our globally distributed team!
We’re a distributed company with teammates across the world. For this role, we are hiring engineers to work remotely in The United States, Ireland, Germany, United Kingdom and through our affiliate, Continuous Labs, in the following Canadian provinces: Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia, Ontario, Prince Edward Island and Saskatchewan.About CircleCI
CircleCI is the world’s largest shared continuous integration and continuous delivery (CI/CD) platform, and the central hub where code moves from idea to delivery. As one of the most-used DevOps tools that processes more than 1 million builds a day, CircleCI has unique access to data on how engineering teams work, and how their code runs. Companies like Spotify, Coinbase, Stitch Fix, and BuzzFeed use us to improve engineering team productivity, release better products, and get to market faster.
CircleCI is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law.