Outrider, the pioneer in autonomous yard operations for logistics hubs, helps large enterprises improve safety, increase efficiency, and optimize their workforce. The only company exclusively focused on automating all aspects of yard operations, Outrider eliminates manual tasks that are hazardous and repetitive. Outrider’s mission is to drive the rapid adoption of sustainable freight transportation by deploying zero-emission systems. Outrider is a private company backed by NEA, 8VC, and other top-tier investors.
Outrider seeks a lead systems engineer to develop and guide all aspects of system reliability design, development, and commercialization.
This role will be critical in defining the features and functionality of a system that must be highly durable, reliable, performant, and profitable. This leadership role will influence all aspects of product development, introduction, and operation of our autonomous vehicle system, from system architecture to field support to maintenance and warranty claims.
The ideal candidate has successfully led reliability efforts at a mobile robotics or autonomous vehicle company that led to scaled production and commercialization.
- Build up a culture of high reliability and high quality through planning, process development and continuous improvement
- Direct commercial, operations and engineering functions to ensure that product availability & reliability in a customer context meets customer and business objectives
- Consult with design engineers to design-in reliability from initial concepts through development
- Develop processes and procedures to report and triage field data and field failures
- Design and implement processes and procedures for corrective actions for field issues
- Define the total system reliability and decompose requirements to lower level subsystems and components
- Support the functional safety development process to industrial and automotive levels, as applicable
- Identify verification steps (e.g., analysis, tests) to confirm that the system, subsystems and components will meet customer expectations
- Provision, establish, and maintain various engineering, reliability and quality tools & techniques throughout development including FMEA, FTA, poke-yoke, MSA, derating/redundancy, RGT, HASS, HALT, etc.
- Support quality process development and initial quality management certification
- Regularly report metrics
- Bachelor's degree in engineering or operations research
- 10+ years experience in a production environment with complex electro-mechanical systems
- 10+ years' background in a senior engineering or reliability role with responsibility for fielding products that meet or exceed reliability and quality requirements for both design and manufacturing
- Ability to lead root-cause analyses and push to conclusion
- Proven track record of developing full-cycle product development processes, including tools and techniques mentioned above
- Comfort and familiarity working with outside contractors and consultants
- Strong communication skills, including a track record of interfacing with executives
- Referenceable skill and success leading teams, directly or indirectly, as part of complex development efforts
- Travel as required, including internationally
- 5+ years' experience in production robotics
- Experience building and leading quality organizations in a fast-growing environment
- SW reliability & cloud availability experience