Head of Engineering at Xero
What you’ll do
- Contribute to your Products strategy, ensuring alignment with Xero Engineering standards and strategy.
- As a key member of your group’s leadership team you’ll drive performance and an inspiring work environment aligned with the Xero strategy.
- Work with other leaders in Product, Design and Engineering to ensure engineering initiatives are appropriately represented in planning and in Product roadmaps.
- Ensure that the performance of all engineering teams is actively measured and monitored. Impediments should be identified as quickly as possible and actively managed to resolution.
- Work with your group’s people leaders to ensure that the right training and tooling are allocated to teams to balance working styles, experience, capability and career aspirations. You’ll trade-off team stability against the need to have the right people working on the right projects.
- Lead Engineering Managers in your portfolio, enable them to thrive in the organization, support them in their career development and goals.
- Ensure that Xero’s people management processes are followed, including personal development plans, objectives and key results, performance management, regular 1:1s, succession planning etc for your direct and indirect reports.
- Govern the metrics and reporting produced by teams to ensure correct and timely information is provided to all stakeholders.
- Work with the Delivery Coaches to ensure all teams understand what it means to be Lean and are able to implement efficient and effective Lean software development practices
- Encourage teams to experiment with new technologies, tools and processes in a way that does not compromise delivery, within the boundaries of technical decision-making frameworks.
- Lead the development of a Xero engineering culture where teams take pride in the quality of the software they produce and the impact it has on customers.
- Lead initiatives to improve on-boarding, on-going training and knowledge sharing between teams.
- Champion the development of an ownership culture where engineering teams take full responsibility for a well-defined section of the product, including identifying and resolving operational issues, tracking and resolving common problems raised and investing in the repayment of technical debt.
- Work with your peers in other areas of the business to ensure that cross-team technical initiatives (such as, .NET Framework Upgrades, Technical Debt repayment projects) are prioritized and included in Product roadmaps.
- Represent your team at a Senior and Executive level, working with these leaders as required.
- Ensure your Product group’s engineers are well connected to Xero’s Engineering community, and that Engineering best practice and its implications are amplified across your entire Platform group.
Success looks like
- All teams are continuously delivering high quality software to production and predictably meeting timelines and satisfying stakeholder expectations.
- Teams clearly understand the products they own and are taking responsibility for the operation and ongoing improvement of those products.
- Your global engineering team has a strong culture where teams take pride in what they produce and in the craft of software engineering. Your group has a reputation for being a great place to work for engineers and staff retention is high.
- All of your team have a clear understanding of what they are working on, why they are doing that work, what is expected of them and what opportunities are available for them in the future.
- All of your wider Product group (including non-engineers) are aware of the importance of Engineering best practice, and factor it into their decision-making accordingly.
What you’ll bring with you (Critical competencies)
- Living the vision & values. Keeps Xero’s vision and values at the forefront of decision-making and actions. Communicates and helps others understand the importance of the vision and values. Translates the vision and values into day-to-day activities and behaviors.
- High E.Q. Self-aware, self-regulated, motivated and empathetic, with great interpersonal skills.
- Growth mindset. Understands that competency is not fixed but is enhanced through dedication and hard work.
- Successfully builds trust and credibility with stakeholders and working relationships across all levels of the business.
- Leadership and coaching. Has an adaptive and collaborative style that meets the needs of the individual or group. Has a range of appropriate responses — knows when to step in and step back. Celebrates others’ successes with them and helps others learn when things don’t go as planned.
- Great communication skills. Speaks and writes clearly and articulately without being overly verbose or talkative, and relying on jargon.
- Knowledgeable in modern product principles and practices.
- Data-informed. Champion a scientific, evidence-based approach.
- Comfortable with uncertainty and change — and bring clarity for others amongst it.
- Great facilitation skills. Can lead workshops unaided.
What you’ll bring with you (Experience)
- Experience of managing teams of people in product or technology companies.
- Proven ability to navigate areas of conflict in an open, positive and proactive way.
- Proven ability to plan and implement strategic change, while getting buy-in from stakeholders.