Head of Engineering at Respondent
Greater Denver Area
Sorry, this job was removed at 1:04 p.m. (MST) on Thursday, July 11, 2019
Respondent is a two-sided marketplace that connects market and usability researchers with the highest quality research participants in the world. Our platform gives researchers a single place to quickly find the right participants for their projects, as well as schedule and pay them instantly. It simplifies the work that’s necessary to conducting quality research. Companies like IBM, Airbnb, Uber, Microsoft, Procter & Gamble and many more trust and integrate us into their research processes.
We are a small, quickly growing, fully remote tech startup. Working as a distributed team allows us to hire the best talent regardless of location (right now, everyone works in a US Time Zone). All of our employees have areas of expertise as well as a wide breadth of knowledge in their domains. This blog post shares more insight into how we work successfully as a distributed team.
* Directly manage seven engineers--we’re growing!--through coaching, giving feedback, having one-on-ones, assisting with career development, giving performance reviews, etc.
* Hire for and build an incredible engineering culture.
* Create and improve engineering processes, applications, and systems for scale (you are leading this from the ground up!), which you will need to ensure are documented and communicated. You will build the blueprint, which will be hugely impactful for the company.
* You will report to the CEO, manage projects and collaborate with key stakeholders, including other teams such as design, product and sales.
* Perform code reviews (we use Node.js).
* Guide and build scalable backend applications to support the growing needs of the business.
* Work with both SQL (we use Postgres) and NoSQL (Neo4j/MongoDB) databases and caching technologies like Redis.
* Take full ownership and responsibility for building, shipping, and maintaining core features, end to end.
* Collaborate with our Co-Founder and Architect to scale infrastructure and introduce new technologies.
* One of your first projects will be to do an audit of how we do things (look at our processes, talk to engineers, etc.) and determine what are priorities should be.
Who you are:
* Proven ability to lead high performing teams and to promote an incredible engineering culture
* BS degree in Computer Science or other related technical fields preferred
* Experience with Node.js applications in production (most of our stack), REST APIs, CI/CD and unit testing
* Comfortable with agile methodologies (scrum, kanban, etc)
We are looking for someone who matches our level of joy for the work we do, brings something new to the team, and elevates our game. Our core values are very important to us and we hope they resonate with you, too. You can read more about them here!
Working at Respondent is a unique experience. You will be part of a remote, diversified team around the US. and world. We care deeply about creating a cohesive, tight-knit culture that gets results. That’s why we offer our employees the following:
* Work remotely from anywhere in a US Time Zone (this does not have to be in the US itself, but rather must be in a US Time Zone: ex. Mexico City, Mexico)
* A full office set up, including a MacBook Pro, desk, second screen, ergonomic chair, and wireless mouse & keyboard
* Health insurance for US-based employees covered at 99% for individuals and 50% for dependents (non-US employees receive a healthcare stipend)
* Short Term Disability covered at 100% for all US-based employees
* Dental and Vision insurance offered at group rates to lower the cost for US-based employees
* Four weeks of flexible vacation (need a bit more for religious or country holidays--no problem!)
* Paid holidays
* Stock options
* Company retreats for teammates to get to know one another in-person: our last retreat was in New Orleans!
Respondent is an equal opportunity employer
We understand it takes a diverse team of highly intelligent, passionate, curious, and creative people to solve the challenges involved in Respondent's long term success. Our dynamic team members have incredible perspectives to share, just as we know you do, and we take great pride in being an equal opportunity workplace and encourage candidates from under represented backgrounds to apply.
Read Full Job Description