Head of Autonomy at Outrider
| Greater Denver Area
Sorry, this job was removed at 4:24 a.m. (MST) on Wednesday, January 20, 2021
Outrider, the pioneer in autonomous yard operations for logistics hubs, helps large enterprises improve safety and increase efficiency. The only company exclusively focused on automating all aspects of yard operations, Outrider eliminates manual tasks that are hazardous and repetitive. Outrider’s mission is to drive the rapid adoption of sustainable freight transportation by deploying zero-emission systems. Outrider is a private company backed by NEA, 8VC, and other top-tier investors. For more information, visit www.outrider.ai
We’re searching for a talented, pedigreed software engineer who has developed and implemented all aspects of autonomy software and hardware for safety-critical, ground robotics applications.
In this role, you'll be the engineering lead for a category-defining ground vehicle system aimed at automating tractor-trailer movement at large logistics hubs. Your team and job scope will include all aspects of planning, perception, navigation, and infrastructure, and incorporate both cutting-edge techniques as well as proven, off-the-shelf technologies to support all autonomous trucking functions....and create unprecedented value and functionality for the modern supply chain.
The Head of Autonomy will report to the Vice President of Software Engineering. This role is mission-critical for helping deliver a safety-critical system for industrial automation. The opportunity offers a technical, hands-on team leader the chance to help develop a market-defining enterprise product that combines autonomous vehicle technology with a software-as-a-service (SaaS) business model.
The ideal candidate will embrace our goal to drive zero-emission, self-driving vehicle adoption, and help us realize our potential to define, build, and lead a new, category of robotic automation for the enterprise.
Duties and responsibilities
- Own development of Outrider's Autonomy Kit subsystem from inception through development and delivery of a product
- Develop a roadmap for the Autonomy Kit subsystem, gain consensus across the organization for that roadmap, and build program and technical plans to achieve it
- Work with Product and Systems Engineering to help define requirements for the Autonomy Kit subsystem, such that it provides necessary functionality within the Outrider system and is technically feasible
- Work with hardware and software engineering leads to develop approaches and development plans to create the Autonomy Kit subsystem
- Work with the System Integration and Test teams to establish how the subsystem will be integrated and tested as part of the complete Outrider system
- Track subsystem performance and deliverables to achieve targeted capabilities and performance objectives for product releases of the subsystem
- Work with hardware and software engineering leads to develop estimates for current and upcoming program phases
- Master's degree in computer science, robotics, and/or electrical/electronics engineering
- Minimum of 5 years of in-depth, hands-on experience designing, implementing, and testing C++ software source code
- Minimum of 2 years in a software and hardware management or leadership role, including managing cross-functional development efforts, planning efforts, and delivering products comprised of hardware and software
- Direct experience in one or more of the following technology areas: perception, planning, hardware selection and qualification, other areas of autonomy/robotics
- Strong algorithm development/ optimization/ implementation/ performance tuning skills
- Familiarity with Agile development methodologies
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Exceptional analytical skills
- Demonstrated strong leadership and people skills
- Background in safety-critical software/system development (preferably a ground robotics functional safety standard such as ISO 26262 or IEC 61508)
- Background using Atlassian tools for development (JIRA, Confluence, BitBucket)
- Ability to read/write/debug Python
- Prior use of Git for software version control