Outrider, the pioneer in autonomous yard operations for logistics hubs, helps large enterprises improve safety and increase efficiency. The only company exclusively focused on automating all aspects of yard operations, Outrider eliminates manual tasks that are hazardous and repetitive. Outrider’s mission is to drive the rapid adoption of sustainable freight transportation by deploying zero-emission systems. Outrider is a private company backed by NEA, 8VC, Koch Disruptive Technologies, and other top-tier investors. For more information, visit www.outrider.ai
As a functional safety engineer at Outrider, you will report to the Sr. Manager of the system safety team. We are looking for a Functional Safety Engineer to help build out a first of its kind safety case for autonomous yard trucks. This includes empowering a safety culture, organizing artifacts for the safety case, support in defining safety mechanism concepts, architectures, validation strategies, and leading by example in safety activities. Outrider is committed to safety and is looking to continue to bolster its existing safety team.
This position requires a very capable professional with an interdisciplinary engineering familiarity of vehicle engineering, robotics, computer science, and electrical hardware engineering. Exceptional problem-solving, project management, and strong interpersonal skills are a must. The successful candidate will be integral in building out Outriders' first of its kind safety case.
Duties & responsibilities
- Ensure teams are following the Outrider safety development process and delivery high quality artifacts towards the Safety Case
- Help improve the Outrider safety development process
- Create, track and monitor dashboards to effectively communicate the highest value work that teams could be performing towards the safety case
- Lead safety related activities including but not limited to FMEAs, system architecture analysis, safety mechanism determination, and creation of a complete functional safety concepts
- Communicate with all required stakeholders to identify and define technical/ system requirements, safety requirements tied to the safety goals
- Support 3rd party certification assessment for requirements, analysis and other functional safety work products
- Bachelor’s degree in a STEM field
- Minimum of 2 years of experience in safety engineering or system engineering
- Experience in working with safety standards like IEC 61508, ISO 26262, ISO 13849
- Experience with safety related system architecture
- Exceptional analytical skills
- Team oriented, self-motivated, dependable, and consistent with excellent networking and communication skills
- Ability to adapt and operate under ambiguity
- Sterling references
- Previous experience working with 3rd party assessors 5+ years of experience in Safety or Systems Engineering
- Functional Safety Engineer/Professional/Expert Certification
- Familiarity with UL 4600
- Experience with ISO 21448 (SOTIF)
- Proven track record as a Functional engineer through a complete product lifecycle
Compensation & benefits
- Salary range of $90,000 - $110,000. For benefits, check this out!
At Outrider, we believe in cultivating an environment where there is diversity of perspectives, experiences, and knowledge with the expectation that we thrive in an inclusive environment. Outrider is committed to a workforce where everyone's opportunities are limitless regardless of race, national origin, gender, age, religion, disability, veteran status, or any others that are protected by law.