Field Engineer at Outrider
Azevtec (Autonomous, Zero-Emission Vehicle Technologies) is automating 'first-mile' trucking. We simplify how large enterprises ship goods—our robotic systems automate repetitive vehicle movement and manual tasks in the world’s busiest freight-shipping hubs to enhance operational performance, reduce costs, and improve safety.
Azevtec is a rapidly growing, Series-A company founded to drive the adoption of sustainable transportation and deploy autonomous vehicles responsibly.
The Field Engineer will report to the Director of Field Engineering and will be responsible for diagnosing complex hardware, software, and operational issues as the first point of contact for bug identification, logging, and resolution.
A successful Field Engineer will resolve issues that affect our autonomous vehicles and associated systems at customer sites, as well as create and improve new diagnostic tools and processes that will be used by the rest of the company. This role is at a key connection point between our various customer locations and the engineering and product home base in Colorado.
The Field Engineer will maximize the uptime of our vehicles and associated systems through real-time support and troubleshooting, and will perform supporting activities for engineering to implement new vehicle firmware and hardware upgrades that improve overall system performance.
Candidates for this role must have a strong technical background in diagnosing complex electromechanical systems with heavy software content and deployed in safety-critical applications. Critical thinking, and an aptitude for understanding of technical system-level architecture and issues, are a must.
Duties and responsibilities
- Pinpoint issues observed during operation from the system level down to individual electronic, mechanical, and software components
- Identify emerging failure trends, determine root cause, and suggest/implement solutions based on data collected from small vehicle fleets
- Communicate issues and events clearly and concisely to technicians, engineers, and customer contacts in terms that make sense to them
- Determine next steps for issue resolution and execute as needed to quickly resume operations
- Document and maintain diagnostic steps to be used by technicians and colleagues
- Define and develop hardware and software tools for maximizing system availability by minimizing debug and repair time
- Work cross-functionally to improve core system performance and self-diagnosis to aide long-term field support
- Execute test plans and procedures, as well as document and report results to internal customers
- Commit to travel and perform field work, depending on initial customer locations (up to 50%)
- BS or MS in electrical/computer engineering, mechatronics engineering, robotics engineering, or equivalent
- Minimum 3 years of experience in relevant experience in transportation, aerospace, or autonomous industry
- Exceptional analytic skills with aptitude for big-picture problem-solving
- Clear and intuitive understanding of the diagnostic process based on experience in the test, quality, or reliability fields
- Knowledge of and experience with integrated hardware/firmware/software systems
- Ability to diagnose and troubleshoot complex system issues quickly and correctly while on customer sites
- Experience with low and high voltage electronics and how to safely troubleshoot them
- Comfort and willing to turn a wrench (or whatever other tool might be required)
- Experience reading and understanding C++
- Comfort with Linux and command line tools for basic system debugging
- Excellent written and verbal communication and team skills
- Self-driven with demonstrated strong leadership and people skills
- Very good time management skills and ability to quickly make informed decisions
- Sterling references
- Experience with autonomous vehicle systems, complex electronic systems, and field work
- Experience with CAN, UDP, and other communication standards
- Interest in data analysis