Zayo provides mission-critical bandwidth to the world’s most impactful companies, fueling the innovations that are transforming our society. Zayo’s 133,000-mile network in North America and Europe includes extensive metro connectivity to thousands of buildings and data centers. Zayo’s communications infrastructure solutions include dark fiber, private data networks, wavelengths, Ethernet, and dedicated Internet access. Zayo serves wireless and wireline carriers, media, tech, content, finance, healthcare and other large enterprises.
The Large Project Fiber Engineer is responsible for the solution and design of physical fiber paths across the Zayo network in support of providing fiber-based services. Projects may encompass high volume large projects including FTT and various ring designs, fiber inventory management, Greenfield builds, technical splicing solutions, network relocations, and capacity augments/grooms. Works with large data sets and formal project planning over a long-term period of months, or years. Manage the inventory of the Zayo fiber network through database tracking of fiber enclosures, fiber optic cable, conduit, building data, and more. Position will report to the Fiber Engineering Manager, with regular interaction from the Outside Plant Team, Network Inventory Specialists, Sales Engineering, and other Network Engineers.
- Design routes for fiber-based services including Point to point, Ring, and path diverse routing
- Researches existing databases, files, and records for purposes of network design, fiber optimization, and relocation of fiber facilities
- Delivers design solutions of fiber path and complicated splicing schematics to be performed for high volume fiber projects
- Ensures fiber plant database is current and accurate by inputting physical fiber asset data as well as fiber inventory and circuit assignments into the data management system, specifically GE Smallworld and Salesforce
- Ensures inventory of fiber utilization is accurate by maintaining inventory management database and maintaining both internal and external customer information as changes occur
- Assigns cable names, splice ID’s, and manages our Splice Activity & Order processes in alignment with our company and database standards
- Interface between various engineers and Zayo stakeholders as needed to validate project specifications, network growth, and delivery timelines.
- Establishes and maintains effective communications and professional working relationships with customers both internal and external
- Organizes workday efficiently to maximize productivity by utilizing proper time management techniques
- Assists in the accomplishment of company objectives by performing other related duties as assigned
- Well qualified candidate will have proven aptitude to prioritize tasks and timelines while cross functioning in a fast-paced environment independently.
- 4 Year College Degree in Engineering or equivalent Telecom Network Experience
- Proficiency in the MS Office suite of tools, in particular MS Visio and Excel. Knowledge of Salesforce.com platform is a plus.
- Must have prior experience in telecom and fiber plant install
- Must have prior fiber design experience that includes ring configurations, FTT projects, and various high volume site deliveries
- Knowledge of GIS-based platforms and fiber inventory systems. GE Smallworld experience preferred.
- Must have Google Earth experience - understands how to produce a professional and detailed KMZ file and can interpret outside plant construction KMZ's
- Ability to correspond effectively with a variety of functional teams and strong interpersonal skills for supporting cross functional teams
- Proficient analytical, organizational, and time management skills, including the ability to effectively multi-task assignments
- Well qualified candidates will possess a work ethic that includes extreme attention to detail and strong organizational skills; including project management, effective communication skills while handling high volume projects, and proven ability to execute in fast-paced environments
- Successful candidates have ability to work quickly and efficiently without sacrificing data quality
Base salary range: $60,000-$80,000
Annual Incentive Plan (AIP) - Full-time Zayo employees are also eligible for discretionary AIP which is based on the performance of the Company, an employee’s business segment, and the individual employee
Excellent benefits including health, dental, vision, 401 (k), disability and life insurance
Fitness membership discounts
Generous paid time off policy including paid parental leave
Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time