Engineering Team Lead at Pie Insurance
Greater Denver Area
Sorry, this job was removed at 5:28 p.m. (MST) on Monday, October 14, 2019
At Pie Insurance, we have a set of development teams working together to deliver applications and platforms to realize our vision. As an Engineering Team Lead, you set the direction for one of those teams. It’s about making sure everyone understands and follows major technical decisions. Team Leads find answers to questions with a high impact on the teams' productivity and morale. Are our services reliable enough? How can we improve quality? Can we afford more technical debt? These are just a few of the questions our Team Leads often get to answer. Team Leads help their engineers structure work provided by product owners and solve coordination issues faced by their teammates.
How You'll Do It
As an Engineering Team Lead, you’ll be an instrumental member in leading and growing Pie’s Engineering team. You will own and build large scale systems and microservices. You will lead in the design, development, and delivery of powerful server-side applications.
Whether it's Right For You
You will be joining our team in downtown Denver, specifically LoDo within walking distance from Union Station. Everything we do is connected: we need you to be a strong communicator and a doer. We are a start-up so hands and minds are needed at peak efficiency.
For Pie, engineering excellence is about following solid software design and implementation principles. These principles include; functional decomposition, understanding cohesion vs. coupling, graceful handling of error conditions, never trusting networks, and resiliency over reliability. Ultimately, Team Leads must drive engineering principles, while making sure the team is delivering testable and maintainable code that provides real value to customers. We have an engineering culture that promotes technical excellence through a shared experience.
Consistently Deliver Customer Value
We are passionate about our customers and a Team Lead must understand and predict the needs of our customers. In that intimate understanding of our customers, the Team Lead is instrumental in planning the customer's most valuable features. The only way to truly delight our customers is to consistently deliver what we have committed. Keeping the team’s cadence requires experience, creativity and communication skills. Team Leads must understand the skills of each team member as well as what motivates them.
Art & Science
Team leads at Pie are principled about balancing artful leadership and delivering distinguished technical work. They are intuitive, personable, relationship-oriented leaders who seek to empower their teams. That empowerment, however, doesn’t stop at soft skills. Our tech leads are expert engineers who relish heavy lifting design and implementation tasks that enable their teams to deliver robust business value more quickly and sustainably.
Mentor, not Manage
A significant part of the day to day activity is to act as a mentor to your teammates. Great engineers are lifelong learners and love change. As a mentor you need to portray these characteristics every day. And mentoring doesn't just cover technical aspects; communication and team work are equally as important.
The Right Stuff
- 7+ years of industrial strength engineering development and delivery of large-scale systems that have had rigorous systemic quality requirements.
- Proven track record of execution at the individual contributor level and ideally as a team lead (if not in title, in practice)
- Deep knowledge of procedural programming languages such as C# or Java. We are a .NET Core shop
- Deep understanding of open source frameworks and tools to shorten development efforts
- Have worked extensively in an Agile/SCRUM development methodology
- Functional understanding of Design Patterns and pragmatic implementation sensibility
- Have worked in CI/CD Environments
- Understand design trade-offs and make sure they are documented
- The ability to create, debug, and maintain elements of the overall code base
- Be a critical thinker, without over thinking
- Be able to communicate to engineers, the why as well as the how
- Must be adaptable. We are a startup and you need to thrive in a highly dynamic environment.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, related field, or equivalent years of experience
Working At Pie
- You expect to challenge others and to be challenged.
- Your communication style is candid and compassionate.
- You share your knowledge. We aren’t here to compete with one another; we are in it to win it, together.
- You share our passion for the small business community.
We're building Pie for the next generation of small businesses. Our team is on a mission to make workers’ compensation less expensive, simpler, and more transparent. Easy as pie, in fact.
Founded in 2017, Pie is a fast-growing InsurTech startup with home offices in Washington, DC, and Denver, CO. Pie offers an incredible career opportunity where you can use your expertise to disrupt an industry and serve the SMB community. Invest your time doing meaningful work in a fast-paced environment where your contribution will have an immediate impact.
Pie, backed by trusted global insurer Sirius Group, continues to expand nationwide in 2019 as we scale our team and operations. Want a slice? In return for your commitment to us, you’ll get a piece of Pie in the form of stock options. At Pie, we’re invested in you, and you in us.