Pie Insurance is an insurtech company tackling meaningful problems. At Pie, we work with small businesses using technology and innovation to improve how they access insurance. Like our small business clients, we are a diverse team of builders, dreamers, and entrepreneurs. So, at the heart of every decision we make is the idea that if it doesn’t serve our clients, it doesn’t serve us.
Today, all Pie-oneers are working remotely and will continue to do so until it is safe to return to the office. As a remote team member, you will be expected to be available for meetings with team members in other time zones and have access to reliable, high-speed internet.
This role will work in our Denver office once our office re-opens. However, we will consider this role for continued remote work once our offices reopen with up to 25% travel to Denver and/or DC.
How You’ll Do It
The Engineering Manager will be highly focused on managing a dynamic group of people. They are responsible for hiring, developing and growing engineers and to help shape the engineering culture at Pie. The Engineering Manager is eager to drive a strong engineering vision and scale the organization while fostering a collaborative, inclusive culture and should have an overall desire to help develop team members along their career path. The Engineering Manager will work closely with Squad Leads and Senior Engineering Managers to assist in delivering world class software. And while the focus of this role is to manage the development of our engineering Pie-oneers, from time-to-time the Engineering Manager may dive into technical work to help the team get a deliverable over the finish line.
Pie is an incredibly collaborative team with constant communication. You will work across teams and collaborate with stakeholders and team members. Great communication and coordination skills are key to your success in any role at Pie.
Mentor, develop and grow team members on team for future needs and operational excellence
Support, mentor, and coach as well as provide professional development for your team. Provide continuous feedback and opportunities for career development.
Identify hiring needs and be the hiring manager for recruiting high quality engineers.
Work through conflict management needs and team member relations needs with the help and direction from the People Team and your leader.
Work collaboratively with the People Partner throughout the team member lifecycle, including, but not limited to hiring, onboarding, performance management, team member relations, and offboarding.
Responsible for team development objectives
Build and grow a hardworking team of software developers and build an environment underpinned by Pie’s values and the team competency framework
Collaborate across the team to assist in delivering on time and on scope overall team development objectives
Collaboration with Engineering, Product Leaders, and business stakeholders
Communicating through various channels
Clear communication and expectation setting of your team’s performance.
Inspire and engage with your team while also interacting and collaborating with senior management and peers
Collaborate with leaders in engineering, product management, and business stakeholders on roadmap, strategy, coordinating dependencies, etc. to effectively meet delivery and quality commitments
Provide guidance, act as a knowledgeable resource, and provide high level of competency in overall engineering best practices
Provide technical mentorship and expertise as part of our design and development processes.
Ensure team adheres to proper engineering process and be a champion for engineering process improvements
Ensure team aligns with Pie and the Technology Team’s OKRs
The Right Stuff
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related field, or relevant work experience is required
- 1 year of experience technically leading a small team on deliverables and/or project functions/areas is preferred
- Some experience mentoring peers and/or direct reports on their technical ability is preferred. A desire to mentor, coach, and develop engineers is required.
- Minimum of 8 years of progressive overall engineering experience, or equivalent in education and related work experience is preferred
- Demonstrated ability to work with geographically distributed team members successfully is required
- Knowledge of data engineering: data schemas, blob storage, relational databases, ETL pipelines, is preferred
- Proficient understanding of data analytics, e.g., machine learning, statistics, regression analysis is preferred
- High proficiency with modern CI/CD concepts (continuous integration and delivery, project management and reporting tools, Gitlab, CI/CD tools, Jira, Confluence, etc.) is preferred
- Advanced understanding of software development, including test design and lifecycle, is preferred
- Competitive salary
- A piece of the Pie (in the form of stock options)
- Comprehensive health plans
- Generous PTO
- Paid sick leave
- Commuting allowance
- Future focused 401k match
- Modern office space with onsite gym
- Our core values are more than just a poster on the wall; they’re tangibly reflected in our work and recognized with our monthly culture award.
- Generous parental leave
Our goal is to make all aspects of working with us as easy as Pie! That includes our offer process. When we have identified talent that is a good fit for Pie, we work hard to present an equitable and fair offer. We look at your knowledge, skills and experience that you bring, along with your compensation expectations and align that with our company equity processes to determine our offer ranges.
We value and want to support our team members, and are proud to offer a comprehensive compensation package which includes the following:
Compensation Range for position: $155,000- $200,000
Other Benefits: Each year Pie reviews Company performance and may grant discretionary bonuses to eligible team members.
Pie Insurance is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, disability, national or ethnic origin, military service status, citizenship, or other protected characteristic.
Pie Insurance participates in the E-Verify program. Please click here, here and here for more information.
Pie Insurance raises an additional $118M in funding
Pie Insurance Named a Top Colorado Company 2020
Pie is rated Excellent by our customers on Trustpilot
Check out our great reviews from current and former employees on Glassdoor
Pie raises an additional $127M in funding