Engineering Manager at Handshake (Remote)
Everyone is welcome at Handshake. We know diverse teams build better products and we are committed to creating an inclusive culture built on a foundation of respect for all individuals. We strongly encourage candidates from non-traditional backgrounds, historically marginalized or underrepresented groups to apply.
If you are not sure that you’re 100% qualified, but up for the challenge – we want you to apply. We believe skills are transferable and passion for our mission goes a long way.
Handshake is hiring an Engineering Manager to lead a growing engineering team serving students by connecting them to individuals in the careers that interest them. In this role, you will be leading the development of this Handshake product end-to-end, building scaled systems to support both learners and employers, and implementing features to enable data-driven recruiting for entry level talent. We are looking for an experienced Engineering Manager who can lead, grow, and support the engineers building our products.Your Role
We're focusing on innovating Handshake’s experience, while constantly improving our technical foundation and user experience. We’re excited for you to work on:
- Leading, coaching, and inspiring our engineers within the organization.
- Fully owning the timely, quality-focused delivery of new features and projects, and motivating the team to align these projects around the squad/company’s objectives.
- Leaning into the details when necessary, to facilitate architectural decisions and understand tradeoffs.
- Ensuring the team’s growth by ensuring the right processes are in place, facilitating efficient communication, and hiring the right talent to fill in the gaps.
- Partnering closely with key stakeholders across Handshake, including Design, Product Management, and Customer Support.
- Leading with empathy as you help us nurture a culture of growth, inclusion, and belonging.
- Proven track record in leading a team to ship and scale features and products.
- 2-5 years of experience managing high-output engineers.
- A background in software engineering - the ability to understand the team’s technical challenges and facilitate architectural decisions is the key to success.
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Excellent people management skills, focusing on supporting empowerment.
- Understanding of Agile methodologies.
- Product-focused mindset.
- Passion for helping teams and individuals grow and for building an inclusive culture and diverse team.
- As a nice-to-have, experience with Handshake’s technical stack:
- Ruby on Rails
- Google Cloud Platform
- $185,000 - $225,000
For cash compensation, we set standard ranges for all U.S.-based roles based on function, level, and geographic location, benchmarked against similar stage growth companies. In order to be compliant with local legislation, as well as to provide greater transparency to candidates, we share salary ranges on all job postings regardless of desired hiring location. Final offer amounts are determined by multiple factors, including geographic location as well as candidate experience and expertise, and may vary from the amounts listed above.About Us:
Handshake is the #1 place to launch a career with no connections, experience, or luck required. The platform connects up-and-coming talent with 650,000+ employers - from Fortune 500 companies like Google, Nike, and Target to thousands of public school districts, healthcare systems, and nonprofits. Earlier this year, we announced our $200M Series F funding round. This Series F fundraise and new valuation of $3.5B will fuel Handshake’s next phase of growth and propel our mission to help more people start, restart, and jumpstart their careers.
When it comes to our workforce strategy, we’ve thought deeply about how work-life should look here at Handshake. With our Hub-Based Remote Working strategy, employees can enjoy the flexibility of remote work, whilst ensuring collaboration and team experiences in a shared space remains possible. Handshake is headquartered in San Francisco with offices in Denver, New York, and London and teammates working globally. So, whether you live on the coasts, the midwest, or overseas, chances are we have a hub near you offering the best of both worlds.
Check out our careers site to find a hub near you!What We Offer:
At Handshake, we'll give you the tools to feel healthy, happy and secure.
- 💰Equity and ownership in a fast-growing company.
- 🍼16 Weeks of paid parental leave for birth giving parents & 10 weeks of paid parental leave for non-birth giving parents.
- 💝Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision policies including LGTBQ+ Coverage. We also provide resources for Mental Health Assistance, Employee Assistance Programs and counseling support.
- 💻Handshake offers $500/£360 home office stipend for you to spend during your first 3 months to create a productive and comfortable workspace at home.
- 📚Generous learning & development opportunities and an annual $2,000/£1,500 stipend for you to grow your skills and career.
- 🏦401k Match: Handshake offers a dollar-for-dollar match on 1% of deferred salary, up to a maximum of $1,200 per year.
- 🏝 All full-time US-based Handshakers are eligible for our flexible time off policy to get out and see the world. In addition, we offer 8 standardized holidays, and 2 additional days of flexible holiday time off. Lastly, we have a Summer and Winter #ShakeBreak, two one-week periods of Collective Time Off.
- 🏦Pension Scheme: Handshake will provide you with a workplace pension, where you will make contributions based on 5% of your salary. Handshake will pay the equivalent of 3% towards your pension plan, subject to qualifying earnings limits.
- 🏝Up to 25 days of vacation to encourage people to reset, recharge, and refresh, in addition to 8 bank holidays throughout the year.
Benefits above apply to employees in full-time positions.
Looking for more? Explore our mission, values and comprehensive US benefits at joinhandshake.com/careers.