Engineering Manager - Data Platform at Invitae (Remote)
Invitae (NYSE: NVTA) is a leading medical genetics company trusted by millions of patients and their providers to deliver timely genetic information using digital technology. We aim to provide accurate and actionable answers to strengthen medical decision-making for individuals and their families. Invitae's genetics experts apply a rigorous approach to data and research, serving as the foundation of their mission to bring comprehensive genetic information into mainstream medicine to improve healthcare for billions of people.
Engineering Manager: Data Solutions
SCHEDULE: Mon - Fri, traditional PST hours
Invitae needs engineers with diverse backgrounds to help us achieve our mission. We are a cross-functional team of scientific domain experts and dedicated, curious engineers. We build systems that take massive amounts of genomic data, combine it with the world's scientific literature, add to it years of rigorously curated results, and package it all neatly for our scientists to consume. It's a lot of information. As the data gets bigger, our systems need to get better and faster. That's where you come in.
The role focuses specifically on the Patient Data Network, which supports Invitae enterprise data solutions and AI services for internal and external customers, and also includes Ciitizen, a health technology platform that enables patients with cancer and rare neurologic disorders to collect, digitize, and share their health information. The data platform supports a wide array of consumer and enterprise products used by a variety of customers including patients, providers, biopharma, advocacy, and HIEs. Specific examples of these applications include the Patient Portal, Clinical Trial Matching, Healthcare Services Marketplace, Patient Cohort Manager, and Prism Reporting.
We are looking for a reliable and motivated Engineering Manager to join our Patient Data Network team who can manage our Data Solutions Team in developing the data ingestion pipelines and data platform architecture that supports the analytical and reporting needs of internal stakeholders, data scientists, and our machine learning team, as well as externally facing products.
What you’ll do:
- Be hands-on with production code and drive technical excellence
- Work closely with the product team to translate business requirements across the company into well-designed, supportable, and extensible data solutions
- Execute to a roadmap and prioritize tasks within the teams to ensure deliverables are met
- Mentor development staff to ensure continual software engineering skill improvements and career growth
- Collaborate with technical and product teams to ensure high value software development deliverables
- Facilitate problem solving across teams and groups
What you bring:
- 2+ years Leadership positions motivating and guiding team members in an agile development environment
- 7+ years of relevant experience in data platform development
- Experience with designing, implementing, and supporting a data platform including data modeling, data processing, data access and data analytics
- Significant experience working with large datasets, pipelines, and modern data technologies
- Experience designing software targeting ease of administration and support
- Solid experience in Scala programming required
- Experience with running software applications in the cloud (AWS)
- Experience with Kubernetes / Kafka / Docker
- Technical experience designing and building cloud and microservice-based architectures
- Demonstrable experience shipping enterprise scale software for external clients
At Invitae, you’ll work alongside some of the world’s experts in genetics and healthcare at the forefront of genetic medicine. Our teams thrive in our dynamic organization, which has been designed to empower them to make the biggest impact they can for our patients. We give our employees the ability to explore interests and capabilities broadly within the organization. We prize freedom with accountability and offer significant flexibility. We also provide excellent benefits and competitive compensation in a fast-growing organization.
At Invitae, we’re changing healthcare to change lives.
Please apply even if you don’t meet all of the “What you bring” requirements noted. It’s rare that someone checks every single item, it’s ok, we encourage you to apply anyways.
At Invitae, we value diversity and provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
We truly believe a diverse workplace is crucial to our company's success and to better serve our diverse patients. Your input is especially valuable. We’d greatly appreciate it if you can take a quick moment to make your selection(s) below. Submissions will be anonymous.
You can find a detailed explanation of our privacy practices here.