Engineering Manager - Data Platform at Invitae (Remote)
Invitae is dedicated to bringing comprehensive genetic information into mainstream medicine to improve healthcare for billions of people. Our team is driven to make a difference for the patients we serve. We are leading the transformation of the genetics industry, by making genetic testing affordable and accessible for everyone to guide health decisions across all stages of life.
Invitae needs engineers with diverse backgrounds to help us achieve our mission. We are a cross-functional team of scientific domain experts and dedicated, curious engineers. We build systems that take massive amounts of genomic data, combine it with the world's scientific literature, add to it years of rigorously curated results, and package it all neatly for our scientists to consume. It's a lot of information. As the data gets bigger, our systems need to get better and faster. That's where you come in.
The role focuses specifically on the Patient Data Network, which includes Ciitizen, a health technology platform that enables patients with cancer and rare neurologic disorders to collect, digitize, and share their health information. This includes a wide array of consumer and enterprise products used by a variety of customers including patients, providers, biopharma, advocacy, and HIEs. Specific examples of these applications include the Patient Portal, Clinical Trial Matching, Healthcare Services Marketplace, Patient Cohort Manager, and Prism Reporting.
We are looking for a reliable and motivated Engineering Manager to join our Patient Data Network team who can manage our Data Platform Team in developing the data ingestion pipelines and data platform architecture that supports the analytical and reporting needs of internal stakeholders, data scientists, and our machine learning team, as well as externally facing products.
What you’ll do:
- Be hands-on with production code and drive technical excellence
- Execute to a roadmap and prioritize tasks within the teams to ensure deliverables are met
- Mentor development staff to ensure continual software engineering skill improvements and career growth
- Collaborate with technical and product teams to ensure high value software development deliverables
- Facilitate problem solving across teams and groups
- Translate business requirements across the company to best-in-class experiences
What you bring:
- Typically requires a minimum of 8 years of related experience with a Bachelor’s degree; or 6 years and a Master’s degree; or a PhD with 3 years experience. Any equivalent combination of training, education, and experience that provides the required skills, knowledge and abilities.
- 2+ years Leadership positions motivating and guiding team members in an agile development environment
- 7+ years of relevant experience in data platform development
- Experience with designing, implementing, and supporting a data platform including data processing and data access
- Experience designing software targeting ease of administration and support
- Significant experience in Java programming required
- Experience with running software applications in the cloud (AWS)
- Experience with Kubernetes / Kafka / Docker
- Technical experience designing and building cloud and microservice-based architectures
- Demonstrable experience shipping enterprise scale software for external clients
At Invitae, you’ll work alongside some of the world’s experts in genetics and healthcare at the forefront of genetic medicine. Our teams thrive in our dynamic organization, which has been designed to empower them to make the biggest impact they can for our patients. We give our employees the ability to explore interests and capabilities broadly within the organization. We prize freedom with accountability and offer significant flexibility. We also provide excellent benefits and competitive compensation in a fast-growing organization.
At Invitae, we’re changing healthcare to change lives. Join us.
At Invitae, we value diversity and provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
You can find a detailed explanation of our privacy practices here.