Engineer Senior - Star Tracker Systems at Ball Aerospace
At Ball Aerospace, we care about the health and safety of our team members, their families and our communities. Ball Aerospace will comply with Executive Order 14042 and all team members will be required to provide proof of completed vaccination status as a condition of employment as stated within the Order, subject to approved medical or religious accommodations.
Powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission focus, Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most.
We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely. For more information, visit Ball Aerospace Career Site or connect with us on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
The Engineering Strategic Support Unit comprises the organizational talent and technical leadership that enables the successful delivery of high-impact discriminating technologies for our customers’ missions. Our collaborative, cross-functional teams are committed to innovation, integrity, continual learning and strong execution.
Engineer Senior – Star Tracker Systems
Join Ball Aerospace’s Star Tracker celestial navigation Systems Engineering team as a Senior Systems Engineer! In this role, you will be a key member of the Star Tracker team; building, testing, verifying and delivering both our standard products as well as working on next generation and derivative products, where you are defining and deriving requirements, architecting designs, testing, verifying and delivering state of the art space hardware.
What You’ll Do:
- Support the Star Tracker group from new business to delivery including proposal support, concept development with trades, payload system design, payload integration and test, and post-delivery technical support.
- Perform systems engineering tasks throughout the program or Research and Development (R&D) project lifecycle.
- Understand and perform analysis to decompose and allocate celestial navigation hardware requirements to lower-level specifications.
- Write and be responsible for Star Tracker system, subsystem and/or component specifications.
- Perform synthesis of Star Tracker system performance for compliance and verification of requirements.
- Perform analyses for the development of Star Tracker error trees and Technical Performance Measures (TPMs).
- Manage Star Tracker interfaces and support the development of Star Tracker Interface Control Documents (ICDs).
- Coordinate with internal Ball customers and external customers, to implement test configurations, verification approaches, and analysis plans necessary for Star Tracker verification.
- Prepare and give presentations to peers, management, and/or customers.
- Support program gates such as the Systems Requirements Review (SRR), Preliminary Design Review (PDR), Critical Design Review (CDR), Functional Configuration Audit (FCA) and payload sell-off.
- Support Star Tracker technical proposal development.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You’ll Need:
- BS degree in Engineering or a related technical field is required plus 8 or more years related experience.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Advanced degree is preferred.
- Advanced skills with computer applications (such as Matlab, Python, Ruby, C, C++, IDL, STK, DOORS, Cameo Systems Modeler, Cameo Enterprise Architect, MagicDraw or CatiaMagic, SysML, UML and other tools is a strong plus.
- Experience with optical and mechanical design tools is a plus.
- Experience executing elements electro-optical system programs over the lifecycle of a program.
- Demonstrated ability to work with diverse teams across multiple technical disciplines.
- Effective presentation skills with experience presenting technical results to senior customers and technical reviewers.
- Active TS/SCI or Top-Secret clearance is preferred.
- Ball Aerospace is a drug-free workplace, which is imperative to the health and safety of all employees and is required as a condition of receiving contracts from federal agencies. Please remember that regardless of the legalization of marijuana in Colorado and other states, possession and use continues to be illegal under the federal Controlled Substances Act. This includes the use of some CBD products. A post-offer, pre-employment drug test is a condition of employment.
- Work is performed primarily in an office, laboratory, production floor, or clean room, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
A current DoD clearance and/or SCI access with Polygraph is not required to be eligible for this position, however applicant must be willing and eligible for submission within 60-90 days after an offer is accepted and must be able to maintain the applicable clearance/access. By applying to this position, you are agreeing to complete a National Security Clearance Pre-Screen Questionnaire to evaluate your general ability to obtain the required security clearance or government customer access associated with this position.
Relocation for this position is available.
Compensation & Benefits:
- HIRING SALARY RANGE: $129,500 - $163,500 (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
- This position includes a competitive benefits package. For details, copy and paste https://bit.ly/3pNSnxv into your browser or visit our careers site.
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.