Engineer Senior - SMA Architect at Ball Aerospace
Powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission focus, Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most.
We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely. For more information, visit Ball Aerospace Career Site or connect with us on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
The Security and Mission Assurance Strategic Support Unit provides discriminating support to the business to ensure success. We focus on threat identification, risk assessment, and mitigation while improving the efficiency of the business through effective governance and analysis of process, data and overall business knowledge.
Engineer Senior – SMA Architect
Security and Mission Assurance (SMA) focused Architect Engineer developing processes, procedures, and capabilities for improved efficacy and mission enabling SMA aligned with current and future customer requirements.
What You’ll Do:
- Lead activities within the Security and Mission Assurance Architecture group developing leading edge assurance processes; supporting IRADs, proposals, and studies ensuring discriminating offerings to our customers; and working with our customers to help provide innovative solutions to enterprise wide issues and shape future acquisition strategies.
- Identify gaps in existing Ball processes and procedures vs. customer expectations across Ball Strategic Business Units (SBUs) and their specific Mission Areas.
- Develop capabilities and solutions meeting customer SMA demands while providing the flexibility to execute across a broad range of missions and products.
- Enable risk-based tailoring from early phase developments through deliverables by providing clear, data driven execution alignment processes, and tools.
- Lead risk-based requirements trades that inform discriminating approaches to tailoring.
- Drive a holistic system-level approach to risk exposure, tolerance analysis, and assurance strategy that closes on Mission requirements.
- Support the establishment of product and process baselines tailored to mission class.
- Support SMA execution organizations to help develop and deliver discriminating proposals and studies.
- Interface with customers (Internal and external) to identify areas needing enhanced capabilities to enable opportunity through program delivery capabilities.
- Provide discipline expertise to SMA execution organizations to address customer investigations, failure investigations and other functions while being aligned with SMA chief engineer organization.
- Build industry recognition through external engagement with programs, at conferences and with industry working groups influencing customer acquisition strategies.
- Influence early phase developments from IRAD / CRAD through studies and leading into proposals from architectural standpoint.
- Promote development of a strong architect department mentoring junior team members.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You’ll Need:
- BS degree or higher in Engineering or a related technical field is required plus 8 or more years related experience.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- 5 or more years of continuous, related, progressive experience in mission system assurance, system architectural development, modeling, and expertise/experience with assessing and quantifying system-level risk assessment across a broad range of systems from Mission Class A to Mission Class D is desired.
- Demonstrated ability to estimate, plan, track and maintain control of program or activity budgets.
- Demonstrated business acumen generating a strong balance between the business needs and our AS9100 certification and process implementation.
- Ability to understand and effectively navigate scalability constraints, cost implications, security principles, and company command media.
- Experience with design and manufacturing of RF, mechanical, electrical, electronic, software, and optical product preferred.
- Excellent task management skills and ability to prioritize in a fast-paced environment.
- Thrive in collaborative cross-functional teams with ability to fluently converse about each other’s domain of expertise and with management.
- Ability to frame data queries to the analytics team for a measured approach to risk-based decisions.
- Demonstrate excellent interpersonal skills, strong written, communication, oral presentations skills, and ability to lead group discussions.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or cleanroom, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
A current DoD clearance and/or SCI access with Polygraph is not required to be eligible for this position, however applicant must be willing and eligible for submission within 60-90 days after an offer is accepted and must be able to maintain the applicable clearance/access. By applying to this position, you are agreeing to complete a National Security Clearance Pre-Screen Questionnaire to evaluate your general ability to obtain the required security clearance or government customer access associated with this position.
Relocation for this position is available.
Compensation & Benefits:
- HIRING SALARY RANGE: $126,500 - $159,500 (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
- This position includes a competitive benefits package. Click here to learn more.
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.