Clearance Requirement: A current, active Top Secret security clearance is required.
Powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission focus, Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most.
We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely. For more information, visit Ball Aerospace Career Site or connect with us on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
The Engineering Strategic Support Unit comprises the organizational talent and technical leadership that enables the successful delivery of high-impact discriminating technologies for our customers’ missions. Our collaborative, cross-functional teams are committed to innovation, integrity, continual learning and strong execution.
Engineer Senior – Payload Test – Optical
This position is for a payload system integration and test engineer with at least 8 years of relevant experience with a specialty in optical systems.
What You'll Do:
- Work in a fast-paced team environment with other SEIT engineers to integrate and test payload hardware.
- Use off-the-shelf and custom Special Test Equipment to test and troubleshoot spaceflight payload hardware.
- Take a leadership role, working with engineers of other disciplines to develop test sets tailored for the verification of payload functional and environmental performance requirements.
- Write, review, update, and review integration and test procedures around optical performance specifications as required by payload AI&T campaigns. Mentor and coach junior engineers on preparing test procedures.
- Maintain fabrication and test engineering logs, records and author test summary reports.
- Interface with internal company contacts and outside suppliers and customers for technical exchanges of information. Take a prominent role interfacing and coordinating with customers and suppliers for program, design, and peer reviews.
- Provide technical oversight and support to teams of engineers and technicians around topics of optical test sets and optical performance testing.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You'll Need:
- BS degree or higher in Engineering or a related technical field is required plus 8 or more years related experience.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Aerospace Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Optical Engineering, Software Engineering, Systems Engineering, or Thermal Engineering preferred.
- Experience in optical alignment techniques of spaceflight instruments is required.
- Experience in the optical testing of spaceflight instruments or related aerospace, electrical, mechanical, optical, or thermal hardware, components and systems is highly desirable.
- Knowledge and test experience using software test automation applications and tools such as COSMOS and LabVIEW is desirable.
- Experience in the design, development and validation of optical test sets in cleanroom, laboratory, and/or production environments is required. An understanding of radiometric, spatial, and/or spectral test approaches is required; expert level understanding of at least one of these approaches is highly desirable.
- Experience working in an ISO Class 7/8 cleanrooms in proximity to electro-sensitive devices is desirable.
- Candidate should have good interpersonal skills and work well in a team environment.
- Candidate should be proficient in MS Office tools.
- Aerospace or military experience is desired but not required.
- Applicants selected may be subjected to a government security investigation and may be expected to meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
- Current Top-Secret security clearance is required.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or cleanroom, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
Verification that your current security clearance or government customer access meets the requirement for this position will be required.
Relocation for this position is available.
Compensation & Benefits:
- HIRING SALARY RANGE: $120,500 - $152,000 (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
- This position includes a competitive benefits package. For details, copy and paste https://bit.ly/3pNSnxv into your browser or visit our careers site.
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.