Clearance Requirement: A current, active TS/SCI security clearance is required.
Powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission focus, Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most.
We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely. For more information, visit Ball Aerospace Career Site or connect with us on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
The Engineering Strategic Support Unit comprises the organizational talent and technical leadership that enables the successful delivery of high-impact discriminating technologies for our customers’ missions. Our collaborative, cross-functional teams are committed to innovation, integrity, continual learning and strong execution.
Engineer Senior - MBSE Architect
Ball Aerospace is reimagining the implementation of our systems engineering practices to include methodologies in a digital environment. We are seeking a Model-Based Systems Engineer who will lead the development, implementation, adoption, and execution of modern methods, tools, infrastructure, and processes. This role will serve both the Ball Aerospace company, as well as specific projects within our enterprise. You’ll transform insights, innovations, and lessons learned on project-specific MBSE initiatives into best-practices and standards that can be leveraged across the enterprise.
What You’ll Do:
- Create and implement a roadmap to define and fulfil MBSE goals and capabilities across the enterprise, inclusive of tools, methods, processes, and infrastructure.
- Develop recommendations and effectively communicate them to management and relevant partners or customers.
- Provide technical leadership, mentorship, and guidance to a team of systems engineers in the areas of systems engineering analysis, architecture modeling, and MBSE.
- Consult and facilitate diverse stakeholders in defining and prioritizing opportunities to implement an MBSE approach to realize cost and labor savings and promote efficiency and re-use.
- Develop and review guidance and training materials related to architecture modeling, tool usage, processes, assumptions, and limitations. Coordinate amongst practitioners to share best practices, establish style guides, and templates.
- Establish and maintain a repository of architectural modeling data for rapid starts on new projects and proposals.
- Bridge architecture models with physics-based performance models and simulations.
- Collaborate with enterprise PLM/PDM tool transitions, representing the interests of the systems engineering community.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You’ll Need:
- BS degree or higher in Engineering or a related technical field is required plus 8 or more years related experience.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- A current, active TS/SCI security clearance is required.
- Excellent communication, presentation, facilitation, collaboration, and teaching skills.
- Demonstrated, mentoring, leadership and team building skills preferred.
- Experience in leading, developing, and implementing a complex vision in alignment with diverse technical, programmatic, management, and infrastructure stakeholder inputs and requirements, within cost and schedule constraints.
- A strong attention to detail while appreciating the bigger picture of the complex and ambitious projects that we take on at Ball.
- Working knowledge of architecture frameworks (DoDAF, UAF, e.g.).
- OMG Systems Modeling Language (SysML) Certification (preferred; or experience applying each language construct on complex, multi-user projects).
- Experience utilizing SysML model authoring tools and associated model management. capabilities (familiarity with Cameo/MagicDraw, Enterprise Architect, or Rational Rhapsody, e.g.)
- Demonstrated success in leading an organizational/cultural change initiative.
- Experience translating customer needs and objectives into capability requirements and soliciting feedback.
- Expert understanding of the traditional systems engineering lifecycle, phases, processes, inputs/outputs, artifacts.
- Experience utilizing requirements database tools (DOORS, Jama, Cameo Requirements Modeler, e.g.).
- Proficiency in MS Office tools and have strong computer skills.
- Must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information if required to be subjected to a government security investigation.
- Experience with multi-domain parametric modeling and optimization, design of experiments, tradespace exploration, and surrogate modeling techniques (familiarity with Modelica tools, such as Dymola or Open Modelica, e.g.) preferred.
- Experience eliciting, authoring, formalizing, and maintaining concept models and ontologies (familiarity with OWL, Protégé, Cameo Concept Modeler, or similar tools) preferred.
- Experience with visualization strategies and tools (familiarity with Tom Sawyer Perspectives, Tableau, or similar tools) preferre.d
- Experience developing scripts to automate processes (Python, etc.) preferred.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or cleanroom, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
Verification that your current security clearance or government customer access meets the requirement for this position will be required.
Relocation for this position is available.
Compensation & Benefits:
- HIRING SALARY RANGE: $126,500 - $159,500 (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
- This position includes a competitive benefits package. For details, copy and paste https://bit.ly/3pNSnxv into your browser or visit our careers site.
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.