Engineer Senior - Electrical Systems at Ball Aerospace
Clearance Requirement: A current, active TS/SCI security clearance is required.
Powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission focus, Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most.
We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely. For more information, visit Ball Aerospace Career Site or connect with us on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
The Engineering Strategic Support Unit comprises the organizational talent and technical leadership that enables the successful delivery of high-impact discriminating technologies for our customers’ missions. Our collaborative, cross-functional teams are committed to innovation, integrity, continual learning and strong execution.
Engineer Senior - Electrical Systems
Ball Aerospace located in the beautiful Westminster and Boulder, Colorado area, is seeking a Senior-Electrical System Engineer to design electrical subsystems for challenging space, air, and ground applications. We are looking for a technical leader with expertise in electrical subsystem technologies who can craft electrical solutions for a wide variety of remote sensing and controls related applications. You will be creating electrical subsystems of the future.
You can Go Beyond® with Ball, to realize your imagination, and build an awesome life along the way, at the gateway to the Rocky Mountains.
What You’ll Do:
- Infuse new electrical technology where needed, make the electrical system work end-to-end, and make the mission successful.
- Lead electrical technology assessments and electrical system level architecture trade studies, electrical system definition, and electrical subsystem level requirements flow-down (analysis and allocation).
- Provide technical oversight of detailed designs to ensure the electrical system is compliant and verifiable at the payload and spacecraft level. Technologies include focal planes, digital signal processing, high speed data transfer, low noise analog sensing, thermal control, mechanism control, low voltage power, power management and harnessing.
- Instrument level grounding, EMI/EMC/ESD allocations and implementation, and electrical interface control definitions.
- Operate effectively within a multi-discipline systems engineering team.
- Interact with both internal and external customers.
- Define and implement the test and verification program.
- Lead the resolution of hardware anomalies and determine root cause and corrective action.
- Contribute to proposal efforts for defense-based systems.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You’ll Need:
- BS degree or higher in Engineering or a related technical field is required plus 8 or more years of related experience.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Experience as a technical team leader.
- Experience or a working familiarity with grounding architectures for low noise systems.
- Knowledge of harnessing to meet voltage drop, power, and signal integrity requirements.
- Experience developing single string and redundant electrical systems.
- Experience developing or guiding the creation of electrical system specifications, and electrical requirements analysis and allocation.
- Detailed design experience with "space flight qualified" electronics.
- Analytical experience: FMECA, WCA, reliability, EMI/EMC/ESD, voltage drop, and derating.
- Demonstrated ability to identify and mitigate technical risks.
- Demonstrated ability to evaluate and optimize size, weight, and power.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills, strong presentation skills, and the ability to effectively lead group discussions.
- Expertise in high-speed digital system architectures, closed-loop control systems, and integration and test experience.
- Experience with electro-optical systems is desired.
- A current, active TS/SCI security clearance is required.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or clean room, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
Verification that your current security clearance or government customer access meets the requirement for this position will be required.
Relocation for this position is available.
Compensation & Benefits:
- HIRING SALARY RANGE: $126,500 - $159,500 (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
- This position includes a competitive benefits package. For details, copy and paste https://bit.ly/3pNSnxv into your browser or visit our careers site.
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.