Engineer Senior- Detector Test at Ball Aerospace
Powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission focus, Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most.
We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely. For more information, visit Ball Aerospace Career Site or connect with us on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
The Engineering Strategic Support Unit comprises the organizational talent and technical leadership that enables the successful delivery of high-impact discriminating technologies for our customers’ missions. Our collaborative, cross-functional teams are committed to innovation, integrity, continual learning and strong execution.
Engineer Senior- Detector Test
We are seeking a Senior Detector Test Engineer to fill technical and project engineering leadership roles in support of design, analysis, fabrication, test and operation of spacecraft / aircraft electro-optical systems for commercial, DoD and NASA customers.
What You’ll Do:
- Support the development of custom visible (CCD and visible hybrid), NIR, SWIR, MWIR (3 - 5 micron), and LWIR (8-12 micron) camera systems for high reliability applications.
- Work on a team to develop the system architecture, the design and test of low noise focal plane detectors used in high-speed video, LIDAR and scientific space-based applications.
- Work directly with detector and electronics hardware to demonstrate performance, to debug operational issues, and to characterize devices.
- Perform detector system analysis including radiometric analysis, MTF analysis, noise analysis, and radiation effects modeling.
- Work on cross-functional teams including optical, electrical, mechanical, thermal, and systems engineers to develop and to optimize detector system performance.
- Manage cost, schedule and milestones of internal research and development programs and lead integrated product teams to meet program goals.
- Work with Ball Aerospace detector teams, customers and suppliers.
- Support proposal efforts for new camera systems and detector technologies.
- Support detector procurement activities and vendor selection processes.
- Guide and mentor junior engineers to promote skills growth.
- Foster the industry-wide awareness of Ball Aerospace engineering distinction by promoting Ball Aerospace engineering participation in technical conferences and publications.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You’ll Need:
- BS degree or higher in Engineering or a related technical field is required plus 8 or more years related experience.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience; Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Degrees in Electrical Engineering or Physics are strongly preferred; Master’s degree is highly preferred.
- Related experience in detector design, detector test, electronics design, breadboard fabrication and focal plane system test.
- Demonstrated knowledge of visible, NIR, SWIR, MWIR, and LWIR detector characterization, design, and system level integration.
- Demonstrated experience with modeling and performance analysis of visible, NIR, SWIR, MWIR, and LWIR detectors.
- Experience developing and running radiometric tests on detectors.
- Experience with mechanical packaging of detectors and the associated thermal and contamination control design.
- Experience leading a small team (3-6 people) on focal plane projects or focal plane electronics design.
- Experience with low noise video readout design.
- Effective interpersonal skills including demonstrated leadership ability.
- Ability and willingness to teach detector, detector packaging or detector electronics skills to peers and less senior technical staff members.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills and presentation skills.
- Hands-on electronics skills and electronic test equipment experience.
- Advanced detector integration, test and evaluation skills.
- Experience with detector operation in radiation environments.
- Experience with image processing and noise reduction algorithms.
- Experience with detector operation in a tactical environment and/or experience with "flight" hardware programs, i.e., "space-qualified" hardware.
- TS/SCI clearance is strongly preferred.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or clean room, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
A current DoD clearance and/or SCI access with Polygraph is not required to be eligible for this position, however applicant must be willing and eligible for submission within 60-90 days after an offer is accepted and must be able to maintain the applicable clearance/access. By applying to this position, you are agreeing to complete a National Security Clearance Pre-Screen Questionnaire to evaluate your general ability to obtain the required security clearance or government customer access associated with this position.
Relocation for this position is available.
Compensation & Benefits
- HIRING SALARY RANGE: $126,500 - $159,500 (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
- This position includes a competitive benefits package. Click here to learn more.
US CITIZENSHIP MAY BE REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.