Engineer Principal - NPI Systems at Ball Aerospace
Powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission focus, Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most.
We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely. For more information, visit Ball Aerospace Career Site or connect with us on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
The Operations Strategic Support Unit plays a fundamental role in enabling efficient business and program execution – from technologies and investments to supply chain, manufacturing and test operations, facilities management, and information technology services.
Engineer Principal – NPI Systems
At Ball Aerospace’s Westminster Colorado location, we develop and manufacture state of the art RF & sensor technologies that are integrated onto tactical missile and aircraft platforms. If you’d like to join our rapidly growing operations team in a mission to help the warfighter, this could be an ideal role for you. The New Product Introduction (NPI) Systems Engineer is pivotal in driving our goal of 100% quality within our Manufacturing Value Stream by supporting our “problems first” strategy. This opportunity requires a result driven individual, with extensive experience in leading and applying Lean thinking, to solve operational and technical challenges in direct support of the Tactical Solutions (TS) Strategic Business Unit (SBU). A successful candidate will have extensive knowledge of electromechanical systems, advanced problem-solving techniques, excellent facilitation skills, and energy to lead teams with a Lean coaching approach.
What You’ll Do:
- Support problem solving activities with various disciplines supporting the New Product Introduction team, driving to process and/or technical root cause and corrective action.
- Review Development and NPI ATPs for repeatability. Develop scripts to allow for ease of testing and review of data from ranges and testing.
- Responsible for in process health check limits and systems.
- Support the NPI team in evaluating and determining Root Cause/Corrective Action through Failure analysis.
- Monitor system performance and provide enhancements as required.
- SPC (Statistical Process Control) Set up for new products transitioning from the Development Value Stream to the NPI group.
- Develop Test fixtures/robots to automate test process where possible.
- Ownership of the NPI production program’s schedules and the affect that putting problems first by taking action has on EVA.
- Accountable for the continual increase in the stability of all manufacturing process using problem-solving methods, tools, and principles.
- Maintain a strong focus on human and hardware safety.
- Influence the culture to expand our “100% quality” focus through mentorship, responsiveness, and action.
- Engage problems with respect, drive teams to thoroughly understand the facts of the current condition, define target conditions, and relentlessly pursue perfection.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You’ll Need:
- BS degree or higher in Engineering or a related technical field is required plus 12 or more years related experience.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Experience developing and maintaining strong customer relationships, establishing a deep understanding of the environment, and generating a clear understanding of the challenges they face.
- A systems approach to Lean Manufacturing focusing on people, process, and tools.
- A creative approach to problem solving and an appetite for experimentation.
- A problem-solving endurance that persists in the wake of initial setbacks.
- Knowledge of advanced statistical methods.
- Experience aligning and influencing fellow employees without direct functional responsibilities.
- Strong presentation skills to communicate with senior leadership.
- An innate mentality that seeks dynamic gains over static optimizations.
- A strong focus on the horizontal flow of value across several supporting organizations.
- Demonstrated experience successfully leading projects and/or teams.
- Demonstrated aptitude for collaboration, recognition of individuals strengths and areas for improvement, and an ability to manage misalignment between individuals and/or groups.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or cleanroom, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
A current DoD clearance and/or SCI access with Polygraph is not required to be eligible for this position, however applicant must be willing and eligible for submission within 60-90 days after an offer is accepted and must be able to maintain the applicable clearance/access. By applying to this position, you are agreeing to complete a National Security Clearance Pre-Screen Questionnaire to evaluate your general ability to obtain the required security clearance or government customer access associated with this position.
Relocation for this position is not available.
Compensation & Benefits:
- HIRING SALARY RANGE: $142,000 - $179,000 (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
- This position includes a competitive benefits package. For details, copy and paste https://bit.ly/3pNSnxv into your browser or visit our careers site.
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.