At Ball Aerospace, we care about the health and safety of our team members, their families and our communities. Ball Aerospace will comply with Executive Order 14042 and all team members will be required to provide proof of completed vaccination status as a condition of employment as stated within the Order, subject to approved medical or religious accommodations.
Powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission focus, Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most.
We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely. For more information, visit Ball Aerospace Career Site or connect with us on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
The Operations Strategic Support Unit plays a fundamental role in enabling efficient business and program execution – from technologies and investments to supply chain, manufacturing and test operations, facilities management, and information technology services.
Engineer Principal - DFM Producibility
At Ball Aerospace’s Westminster Colorado location, we develop and manufacture cutting edge RF & sensor technologies that are integrated onto tactical missile and aircraft hardware platforms. If you’d like to join our rapidly growing manufacturing operations team supporting the Tactical Solutions (TS) SBU in a mission to help the warfighter, this could be an ideal role for you. In this role, cross-functional design teams collaborate to develop highly innovative solutions that meet our customers’ mission objectives. The design for manufacturing (DFM) / Producibility Engineering role will be integral in supporting the development of advanced sensor systems as well as their transition to production. This opportunity requires a result driven individual, with extensive experience in applying (DFM) and producibility concepts working side-by-side with cross-functional design teams to support the front end of the product lifecycle through the New Product Introduction (NPI) phase. This role will initially require a heavy focus on applying best practices leading up to a producible and baselined design. Influential leadership and effective collaboration is critical in meeting vision and mission goals for our internal and external customers.
DFM/DFA will research, develop and recommend world-class manufacturing processes. They’ll support detailed analysis (cost, capacity, manpower), project timelines, manufacturing NPI (New Product Introductions) and sustaining activities. They will also generate cost reduction, process, continuous improvement ideas and lead implementation of those ideas on the factory floor.
What You’ll Do:
- Develop a strong relationship with the internal customers to identify their value proposition(s).
- Champion the implementation of new, cost effective manufacturing technologies.
- Engage in design reviews to provide producibility input and guidance.
- Support design trade studies from a manufacturability perspective.
- Review engineering designs / drawings for producibility.
- Assume a lead role in manufacturing process development and refinement.
- Collaborate with mechanical design engineering to develop robust tooling and fixturing designs.
- Document and evolve the build process including creation of build work instructions.
- Collaborate with the design team to determine Key Product Characteristics (KPC’s); setup statistical control plans to begin tracking statistical control data.
- Support Manufacturing Readiness Assessments.
- Identify structural processes and/or systems that stand in the way of value creating activities.
- Strive to increase the development process velocity through the application of Lean Product & Process Development (LPPD) methods, tools, and principles converting current conditions to target conditions.
- Maintain a strong focus on human and hardware safety.
- Product review at part/component level for ease of manufacturing and assembly.
- Ensure product manufacturing and assembly requirements are clearly understood by manufacturing partners.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You’ll Need:
- BS/BA degree or higher in Engineering or a related technical field is required plus 12 or more years related experience.
- Each higher-level related degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of related experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Experience developing and maintaining strong internal customer relationships; establishing a deep understanding of their environment and generating a clear understanding of the challenges that they face.
- Good quality sense and familiar with factory quality control system (IQC, IPQC, SQE, QA/QE).
- Progressive experience with Computer Aided Engineering tools.
- Experience with optics and mechanisms is desired.
- Demonstrated knowledge of engineering principles and practices.
- Exposure to Product Lifecycle Management (PLM); Manufacturing Execution Systems (MES); and Manufacturing Resource Planning (MRP).
- A systems approach to Lean Product & Process Development focusing on people, process, and tools.
- A creative approach to problem solving and an appetite for experimentation.
- A problem-solving endurance that persists in the wake of initial setbacks.
- Experience aligning and influencing fellow employees without direct functional responsibilities.
- Strong presentation skills to communicate with senior leadership.
- Demonstrated aptitude for collaboration, recognition of individuals strengths and areas for improvement, and an ability to manage misalignment between individuals and/or groups.
- Familiarity with the 13 Principles of Lean Product Development.
- Previous DFM/DFA experience required.
- Experience in developing SOPs, Value-Stream Maps, Process Maps, Lean, 5S, SPC.
- Previous CAD/CAM user (SolidWorks preferred).
- Problem solving and corrective action skills: DOE, 8D, Red X, DMAIC, Kaizen events, etc.
- Ball Aerospace is a drug-free workplace, which is imperative to the health and safety of all employees and is required as a condition of receiving contracts from federal agencies. Please remember that regardless of the legalization of marijuana in Colorado and other states, possession and use continues to be illegal under the federal Controlled Substances Act. This includes the use of some CBD products. A post-offer, pre-employment drug test is a condition of employment.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or cleanroom, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
A current DoD clearance and/or SCI access with Polygraph is not required to be eligible for this position, however applicant must be willing and eligible for submission within 60-90 days after an offer is accepted and must be able to maintain the applicable clearance/access. By applying to this position, you are agreeing to complete a National Security Clearance Pre-Screen Questionnaire to evaluate your general ability to obtain the required security clearance or government customer access associated with this position.
Relocation for this position is available.
Compensation & Benefits:
- HIRING SALARY RANGE: $131,500 - $166,500 (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
- This position includes a competitive benefits package. For details, copy and paste https://bit.ly/3pNSnxv into your browser or visit our careers site.
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.