Engineer II - Structural at Ball Aerospace (Greater Boulder Area, CO)
At Ball Aerospace, we care about the health and safety of our team members, their families and our communities. Ball Aerospace will comply with Executive Order 14042 and all team members will be required to provide proof of completed vaccination status as a condition of employment as stated within the Order, subject to approved medical or religious accommodations.
Powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission focus, Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most.
We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely. For more information, visit Ball Aerospace Career Site or connect with us on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
The Engineering Strategic Support Unit comprises the organizational talent and technical leadership that enables the successful delivery of high-impact discriminating technologies for our customers’ missions. Our collaborative, cross-functional teams are committed to innovation, integrity, continual learning and strong execution.
Engineer II - Structural
What You’ll Do:
- Perform structural analysis on advanced satellite and tactical hardware which may include spacecraft, instruments, antennas, electronics, precision mechanisms, optical systems, and ground support equipment.
- Perform structural analysis tasks which may include detail stress analysis using closed form and finite element analysis techniques, structural dynamics, loads analysis, preparation of detailed engineering analysis reports, development of structural test requirements, and supporting structural and vibration testing.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You’ll Need:
- BS degree or higher in Engineering or a related technical field is required plus 5 or more years related experience.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Degree in Mechanical, Civil, or Aerospace Engineering, with coursework in statics, dynamics, strength of materials, and linear algebra preferred.
- 5 or more years of experience performing structural analysis of aerospace-related hardware including stress analysis and structural dynamics is preferred.
- Experience in the use of free-body diagrams, strength and stability calculations and bolted joint analysis is required.
- Current Top Secret (TS) clearance with a current favorable Single Scope Background Investigation (SSBI) is preferred. The ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance is required.
- Previous experience in the following areas is preferred: structural analysis to support electronics and tactical antennas, bond analysis, composites and other non-traditional materials, structural dynamics.
- The ability to manage competing priorities on multiple projects.
- Proficiency with MS Office tools is required.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively in a team environment including virtual collaboration platforms such as Microsoft Teams and Cisco WebEx.
- Proficiency in the use of NASTRAN finite element analysis including static, modal, and frequency response is preferred.
- Test experience in static, vibration, acoustic and modal is preferred.
- Proficiency in the evaluation of composite materials is preferred.
- Proficiency in the use of Simcenter, Femap or similar finite element pre/post processing software is preferred.
- Proficiency in the use of SolidWorks is preferred.
- Proficiency in the use of Multi-body dynamics tools such as ADAMS or equivalent is preferred.
- Proficiency in the use of acoustic tools such as VA One or equivalent is preferred.
- Programming experience with MATLAB, Python, VBA or at least one programming language is preferred.
- Ball Aerospace is a drug-free workplace, which is imperative to the health and safety of all employees and is required as a condition of receiving contracts from federal agencies. Please remember that regardless of the legalization of marijuana in Colorado and other states, possession and use continues to be illegal under the federal Controlled Substances Act. This includes the use of some CBD products. A post-offer, pre-employment drug test is a condition of employment.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or clean room, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
A current DoD clearance and/or SCI access with Polygraph is not required to be eligible for this position, however applicant must be willing and eligible for submission within 60-90 days after an offer is accepted and must be able to maintain the applicable clearance/access. By applying to this position, you are agreeing to complete a National Security Clearance Pre-Screen Questionnaire to evaluate your general ability to obtain the required security clearance or government customer access associated with this position.
Relocation for this position is available.
Compensation & Benefits:
- HIRING SALARY RANGE: $99,500 - $123,500 (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
- This position includes a competitive benefits package. For details, copy and paste https://bit.ly/3pNSnxv into your browser or visit our careers site.
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.