Engineer II - RF Photonics at Ball Aerospace
Clearance Requirement: A current, active TS/SCI CI Polygraph security clearance is required.
Powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission focus, Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most.
We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely. For more information, visit Ball Aerospace Career Site or connect with us on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
The Engineering Strategic Support Unit comprises the organizational talent and technical leadership that enables the successful delivery of high-impact discriminating technologies for our customers’ missions. Our collaborative, cross-functional teams are committed to innovation, integrity, continual learning and strong execution.
Engineer II – RF Photonics
In this role, you will work in Payload Engineering as a subject matter expert in RF photonics to support the development of technology to support current programs and provide Ball a discriminating capability, and/or technology to win future customer acquisitions.
What You'll Do:
- Support RF photonic payload system and box/board level designs and analysis. Under the direction of an experienced engineer duties may include:
- Development of RF photonic concepts and designs; analysis of designs; understanding and assessment of designs.
- System concept analysis, modeling or simulation for assessment of RF communications and radar link performance for terrestrial and space missions.
- Wideband RF system design and development.
- Assessment of impact and/or ability to integrate Wideband RF Payload solution into customer’s existing or planned infrastructure.
- Support Strategic Business Unit (SBU) with proposals and marketing of Wideband RF Payload concepts and architectures that are solutions to customer missions and provide winning discriminators for Ball.
- Support customer interaction by providing input/development/briefings for Request for Information (RFI) and customer on/off site briefings.
- Interact with suppliers and subcontractors to identify, analyze, procure and/or develop state of the art photonic integrated circuit components and systems including but not limited to the following technologies:
- Electro-optical modulators (EOM), High speed phototdiodes, Low RIN laser sources, Injection-locked laser sources, High Q filter structures, Optical waveguides, Array waveguide gratings (AWG), Integrated photonic modules.
- Photonic integrated circuit (PIC) material systems (InP, SiN, LiNb, GaAs, etc.).
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You'll Need:
- BS degree or higher in Engineering or a related technical field is required plus 5 or more years related experience.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Working knowledge of phased array antennas, RF photonics fabrication technologies and techniques; knowledge should include performance assessments of RF through IF signal chain and strength/weaknesses of various material systems for signal chain components.
- Knowledge and demonstrated experience creating and using Matlab code to analyze system performance using metrics like noise figure, compression and intermodulation points.
- Knowledge and familiar using commercial simulation tools such as Ansys HFSS, Zemax and AWR Microwave Studio.
- Ability to design, analyze, and assess wideband RF payload solutions.
- Ability to develop relationships and work with diverse teams across key customer, program, and engineering personnel from Government, academia and the company.
- Excellent verbal, written and presentation skills.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or cleanroom, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
Verification that your current security clearance or government customer access meets the requirement for this position will be required.
Relocation for this position is available.
Compensation & Benefits:
- HIRING SALARY RANGE: $102,000 - $126,500 (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
- This position includes a competitive benefits package. For details, copy and paste https://bit.ly/3pNSnxv into your browser or visit our careers site.
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.