Engineer II - MSA RF & EO Electrical Reliability and Maintainability
Powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission focus, Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most.
We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely. For more information, visit Ball Aerospace Career Site or connect with us on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
The Security and Mission Assurance Strategic Support Unit provides discriminating support to the business to ensure success. We focus on threat identification, risk assessment, and mitigation while improving the efficiency of the business through effective governance and analysis of process, data and overall business knowledge.
Engineer II – MSA RF & EO Electrical Reliability and Maintainability
Perform the engineering required to establish the basis for independent technical evaluations of RF, EO, and electrical and component designs for reliability, including reliability predictions, part stress analysis (PSA), failure mode analyses, limited life analyses (LLA), electrical failure analyses, and others. These analyses ensure that the designs have sufficient performance margins, failure-recovery capabilities, resiliency, and high pedigree upon test-completion, such that mission success is assured.
What You’ll Do:
- Manage a portfolio of 4-10 active programs at a time with respect to individual schedules and budgets.
- Perform RF and EO component and system level reliability and maintainability analysis, including the generation, review, interpretation, and approval of reliability reports from internal and external suppliers in some or all the following areas:
- Reliability Predictions
- Failure Modes, Effects, and Criticality Analysis (FMECA)
- Failure Modes and Effects Analysis (FMEA)
- Electrical Failure Analysis
- Worst Case Circuit Analysis (WCCA)
- Level of Repair Analysis (LORA)
- Employ a strong understanding of the drivers for component and system reliability, availability, maintainability, and supportability (RAMS) to identify potential risk to programs early in design.
- Translate written requirements from both internal and external sources into simple, measurable requirements.
- Utilize reliability block diagrams (RBDs) and other mathematical software tools to analyze and optimize RAMS metrics.
- Analyze electrical and electro-optical circuits classically and/or using SPICE.
- Investigate failures in microwave, electrical circuits, and electro-optical systems.
- Possess the willingness to assist other reliability and maintainability engineers in completing their tasks.
- Efficiently learn new subjects / techniques / software, without, necessarily, the assistance of others.
- Have a track record of highly collaborative working skills in a team environment.
- Write clear and concise reports.
- Interface with Program Managers (PMs), Business Assurance Managers (BAMs), Mission Assurance Managers (MAMs), and customers.
- Use strong presentation skills to convey reliability results and other program milestones at design reviews.
- Participate as member of design team to select, evaluate, and document electronic, electrical, mechanical, and optical parts for various missions including space, military and airborne.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You’ll Need:
- BS degree or higher in Engineering or a related technical field is required plus 5 or more years related experience.
- Each higher-level related degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of related experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Degree in Electrical Engineering preferred.
- 5 or more years of continuous, related, progressive experience in the Electrical Reliability discipline is desired.
- A current TS/SCI security clearance preferred.
- Applicants selected will be subject to a Government Security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or clean room, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
A current DoD clearance and/or SCI access with Polygraph is not required to be eligible for this position, however applicant must be willing and eligible for submission within 60-90 days after an offer is accepted and must be able to maintain the applicable clearance/access. By applying to this position, you are agreeing to complete a National Security Clearance Pre-Screen Questionnaire to evaluate your general ability to obtain the required security clearance or government customer access associated with this position.
Relocation for this position is available.
Compensation & Benefits:
- HIRING SALARY RANGE: $102,000 - $126,500 (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
- This position includes a competitive benefits package. For details, copy and paste https://bit.ly/3pNSnxv into your browser or visit our careers site.
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.