Powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission focus, Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most.
We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely. For more information, visit Ball Aerospace Career Site or connect with us on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
The Operations Strategic Support Unit plays a fundamental role in enabling efficient business and program execution – from technologies and investments to supply chain, manufacturing and test operations, facilities management, and information technology services.
Engineer II – IAS MTO Manufacturing
Join our Imaging & Surveillance Mission Area manufacturing team today! This is an opportunity to work on industry leading technology and cutting-edge products in a rate build manufacturing environment. Perform, planning, coordination, control, analysis and improvement of manufacturing and test operations for all product lifecycle phases, systems, programs, and/or products from less complex, single focus activities to extremely complex with highly diverse activities.
What You’ll Do:
- Provide manufacturing engineering support for electro-optical hardware in a rate-build manufacturing environment.
- Lead small operational teams in support of program milestones and goals.
- Independently support design reviews, build document development, assembly and shipment of rate-build electro-optical system hardware.
- Provide producibility expertise in demonstration and prototype product designs assuring manufacturability; design-to-cost, meeting program delivery requirements, and assuring rigorous quality requirements are efficiently met through the application of professionally accepted industrial techniques, practices, and procedures.
- Act independently to uncover and resolve issues associated with electrical, optical, and mechanical assemblies.
- Plan manufacturing and operational aspects of programs to accomplish long-range objectives.
- Assume ownership for manufacturing schedules that meeting program milestones and goals.
- Engage with Supply Chain Management on material strategies; collaborate on optimizing supplier relationships and achieving price targets.
- Support program new business proposals and basis of estimates for manufacturing and support labor related to electro-optical hardware.
- Support capital equipment identification and justification, based upon Economic Value Added (EVA) principles and return-on estimate evaluation.
- Actively support the mentorship and training of more junior employees in Ball internal processes, manufacturing principles and design for manufacturing concepts.
- Lead and/or direct group discussions and program related projects. Organize and direct effective meetings.
- Work independently or in a team environment to resolve program issues using data- based root cause analysis; diligently applies firm corrective actions.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You’ll Need:
- BS/BA degree or higher in Engineering or a related field is required plus 5 or more years related experience.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Proficiency with interpreting highly technical engineering requirements, drawings, bills of materials, and technical documents including test and integration procedures.
- Experience leading manufacturing and test activities that meet cost, schedule, and performance goals.
- Demonstrated experience in transitioning electro-optical hardware from development into a transition and eventual production environment
- Excellent interpersonal skills, strong written communication skills, oral presentation skills and an ability to lead group discussions with both internal and external customers.
- Ability to obtain a DOD SECRET clearance and willingness to work classified programs.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or cleanroom, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
A current DoD clearance and/or SCI access with Polygraph is not required to be eligible for this position, however applicant must be willing and eligible for submission within 60-90 days after an offer is accepted and must be able to maintain the applicable clearance/access. By applying to this position, you are agreeing to complete a National Security Clearance Pre-Screen Questionnaire to evaluate your general ability to obtain the required security clearance or government customer access associated with this position.
Relocation for this position is available.
Compensation & Benefits:
- HIRING SALARY RANGE: $92,000 - $114,500 (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
- This position includes a competitive benefits package. For details, copy and paste https://bit.ly/3pNSnxv into your browser or visit our careers site.
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.