Engineer II - Electrical Process Control - PWA at Ball Aerospace
Powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission focus, Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most.
We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely. For more information, visit Ball Aerospace Career Site or connect with us on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
The Engineering Strategic Support Unit comprises the organizational talent and technical leadership that enables the successful delivery of high-impact discriminating technologies for our customers’ missions. Our collaborative, cross-functional teams are committed to innovation, integrity, continual learning and strong execution.
Engineer II – Electrical Process Control – PWA
What You'll Do:
- Lead the development, qualification, and validation to document fabrication processes for Printed Wire Assemblies (PWAs) including soldering and polymerics, to meet J-STD-001 and NASA-STD-8739.1 requirements.
- Lead the selection, installation, and commissioning of production equipment.
- Develop and implement process qualifications and validations for PWA fabrication processes, including background test design and implementation, sample selection, researching historical supporting documentation, writing detailed systems engineering reports, and implementing tests.
- Perform Design of Experiments (DOE), collect and report metrics, and investigate process improvements for PWA and harness fabrication processes. Lean six sigma experience desired.
- Perform process gap analysis, maintain process risk and opportunity analysis, and act on finding to improve processes and increase efficiency.
- Successful candidate must be able to perform instructor led training courses, including development of course materials and curriculum. Certification and previous experience with IPC preferred
- Participate in multi-discipline teams to meet cost, schedule, and technical requirements for assigned projects within a manufacturing work center.
- Participate in teams in the design, development, and execution of innovative research projects.
- Apply highly advanced technologies, scientific principles, theories and concepts.
- Design, research and develop highly advanced new applications resulting in new product/business opportunities for the company.
- Act, with general supervision, to uncover and resolve issues associated with the development and implementation of operational programs in a manufacturing work center.
- Develop information that extends knowledge in a given field. Information may form the basis of newly developed concepts, theories, processes, and products.
- Participate in group discussions. Participate in effective meetings and assist with presentation preparation.
- Mentor and provide guidance to operators, Associate Engineers and Engineer Is.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You'll Need:
- BS degree or higher in Engineering or a related technical field is required plus 5 or more years related experience.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Must have at least 2 years of experience developing and/or improving manufacturing processes to meet customer requirements.
- Must have at least 2 years of experience developing and/or improving PWA fabrication (soldering, cable/wire harnessing, and polymerics) processes to meet IPC or NASA-STD- 8739.1 requirements.
- Must be able to work in a team environment with customers, auditors, engineers, assemblers, and technicians.
- Ability to work directly with manufacturing technicians to ensure products meet end item requirements.
- Ability to work under only general direction (independently determining and developing approaches to solutions).
- Be willing to learn additional electronics manufacturing processes, including ESD (electrostatic discharge) protection.
- Must be competent in learning new software as a user, with particular emphasis on configuration & design management systems, learning management systems, and electronic build documentation.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or clean room, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
A current DoD clearance and/or SCI access with Polygraph is not required to be eligible for this position, however applicant must be willing and eligible for submission within 60-90 days after an offer is accepted and must be able to maintain the applicable clearance/access. By applying to this position, you are agreeing to complete a National Security Clearance Pre-Screen Questionnaire to evaluate your general ability to obtain the required security clearance or government customer access associated with this position.
Relocation for this position is available.
Compensation & Benefits
- HIRING SALARY RANGE: $97,000 - $120,500 (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
- This position includes a competitive benefits package. Click here to learn more.
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.