Powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission focus, Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most.
We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely. For more information, visit Ball Aerospace Career Site or connect with us on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
The Engineering Strategic Support Unit comprises the organizational talent and technical leadership that enables the successful delivery of high-impact discriminating technologies for our customers’ missions. Our collaborative, cross-functional teams are committed to innovation, integrity, continual learning and strong execution.
Engineer II – Antenna and RF Design (Survivability and Strike)
This position will have stealth or low-observable (LO) antenna and RF design engineering as its area of specialization.
What You’ll Do:
- Antenna and antenna-related RF component design and development along with new business support; typically supporting more than one program at a time.
- Antenna requirement evaluation, initial concept trade-off and development, in-house and customer presentations, travel, and technical proposal writing and cost/schedule estimating.
- Be responsible for the hands-on design and realization of state-of-the-art LO antennas and RF components.
- Complete understanding and wide application of technical principle, theories, and concepts in the field.
- Mentor and guide more junior engineers and technicians in the design, build, and test phases of projects and programs.
- Contributes to the completion of specific programs and projects.
- Work under only general direction. Independently determines and develops approach to solutions.
- Provides technical solutions to a wide range of difficult problems.
- Frequent inter-organizational and outside customer contacts. Represents the organization in providing solutions to difficult technical issues associated with specific projects.
- Interface well with other people at all levels including customers, use initiative in applying solutions to assignments. Contributes to large teams. Provides guidance to less experienced employees.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units, and the rest of the company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You’ll Need:
- BS degree or higher in Engineering or a related technical field is required, plus 5 or more years of related experience.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Degree in Electrical Engineering preferred.
- Requires full competency in core RF engineering and antenna theory and skills and general knowledge of other related disciplines.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills. Assists with the preparation and delivery of presentations.
- Experience and skills to effectively contribute to successful producibility of designs and to cost, budget, and schedule control.
- Experience with design of antennas and RF components (frequency-selective surfaces (FSS), radomes, power dividers, couplers, transitions, etc.).
- Analytical design experience using software and simulation tools such as AWR Microwave Office/Agilent ADS, CST, FEKO, HFSS, and SENTRI.
- Experience and proficiency in programming, data manipulation, and data visualization in MATLAB.
- RCS design, prediction, and measurement experience is preferred. This includes analysis and simulation experience as well as measurement experience.
- Must be able to create effective test plans; schedule and execute measurements at internal and external facilities; perform measurement analysis and troubleshooting; process measurement data using such tools such as Knowbell, DataPro, and Saber; and summarize performance using conventional figures of merit for LO antennas (RCS, Gain, VSWR, etc.).
- Demonstrated ability to apply technical expertise in RF engineering and to leverage knowledge of other related disciplines.
- Current security clearance is preferred.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or clean room, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
A current DoD clearance and/or SCI access with Polygraph is not required to be eligible for this position, however applicant must be willing and eligible for submission within 60-90 days after an offer is accepted and must be able to maintain the applicable clearance/access. By applying to this position, you are agreeing to complete a National Security Clearance Pre-Screen Questionnaire to evaluate your general ability to obtain the required security clearance or government customer access associated with this position.
Relocation for this position is available.
Compensation & Benefits
- HIRING SALARY RANGE: $102,000 - $126,500 (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
- This position includes a competitive benefits package. Click here to learn more.
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.