Engineer I / Engineer II - Embedded Software at Ball Aerospace (Greater Boulder Area, CO)
Clearance Requirement: A current, active Secret security clearance is required.
Ball Aerospace is powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission focus. We pioneer discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most. We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely.
At our core, we're passionate, committed people who believe together we can achieve extraordinary things. We work collaboratively with each other, our customers and partners to solve the world's greatest challenges. That means listening to one another, providing feedback and partnering across all levels. We value our inclusive culture where everyone is heard equally and creativity thrives. Each team member is fully invested in our mission and we bring an energy to work every day that propels our business and motivates us all to Go Beyond.®
For more information, visit Ball Aerospace Career Site or connect with us on LinkedIn , Facebook , Twitter or Instagram .
The Engineering Strategic Capabilities Unit comprises the organizational talent and technical leadership that enables the successful delivery of high-impact discriminating technologies for our customers' missions. Our collaborative, cross-functional teams are committed to innovation, integrity, continual learning and strong execution.
Engineer I / Engineer II - Embedded Software
The Engineering Support Unit at Ball Aerospace is looking to expand our team with a talented and energetic software engineer focused on delivering high-quality, high-reliability embedded or system emulation software and associated test infrastructure. This position supports a portfolio of tactical, airborne, and space-based systems. Technology areas may include Embedded Linux, real-time embedded systems, containerization, CI/CD, C/C++, Python, Ada, and Ruby, among others.
What You'll Do:
- Develop software designs and work with team to implement design.
- Support multiple types of software development including embedded, test, and application software for various systems.
- Perform full software life cycle functions including requirements, architecture, design, code, test, integration, documentation, and support.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Capabilities Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You'll Need:
- Engineer I - BS degree or higher in Engineering or a related technical field is required plus 2 or more years related experience.
- Engineer II - BS degree or higher in Engineering or a related technical field is required plus 5 or more years related experience.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master's Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- A current, active Secret security clearance is required.
- C/C++, Embedded Linux, Python.
- Containerization (Docker, Kubernetes, ContainerD), Ruby/COSMOS.
- Interaction with FPGAs and understanding system level impacts.
- Experience in designing, developing, and testing software for systems using programming languages such as C/C++.
- Experience with CI/CD technologies and concepts (Gitlab pipelines).
- Understanding of and experience with deployment and operation of applications on Linux systems.
- Experience in developing test, simulation, or data processing applications in high-level languages such as Python, Ruby, or MATLAB.
- Desirable experience:
- Understanding of high-speed network architectures
- Understanding of GPU use for algorithm implementation
- Testing frameworks (gtest, test-driven development, hardware-in-the-loop)
- Aerospace domain
- A working knowledge of Agile lifecycles and activities in each phase.
- Experience with formal software development practices including the use of software configuration management, coding standards, and style guides.
On-Site Work Environment: This position requires regular in-person engagement by working on-site five days each normally scheduled week in the primary work location. Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
- Ball Aerospace is a drug-free workplace, which is imperative to the health and safety of all employees and is required as a condition of receiving contracts from federal agencies. Please remember that regardless of the legalization of marijuana in Colorado and other states, possession and use continues to be illegal under the federal Controlled Substances Act. This includes the use of some CBD products. A post-offer, pre-employment drug test is a condition of employment.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or cleanroom, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
Verification that your current security clearance or government customer access meets the requirement for this position will be required.
Relocation for this position is available.
Compensation & Benefits:
- HIRING SALARY RANGE FOR ENGINEER I: $91,500 - $113,500 (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
- HIRING SALARY RANGE FOR ENGINEER II: $111,000 - $137,500 (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
- This position includes a competitive benefits package. For details, copy and paste https://bit.ly/3pNSnxv into your browser or visit our careers site.
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.