Powered by endlessly curious people with an unwavering mission focus, Ball Aerospace pioneers discoveries that enable our customers to perform beyond expectation and protect what matters most.
We create innovative space solutions, enable more accurate weather forecasts, drive insightful observations of our planet, deliver actionable data and intelligence, and ensure those who defend our freedom go forward bravely and return home safely. For more information, visit Ball Aerospace Career Site or connect with us on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.
The Engineering Strategic Support Unit comprises the organizational talent and technical leadership that enables the successful delivery of high-impact discriminating technologies for our customers’ missions. Our collaborative, cross-functional teams are committed to innovation, integrity, continual learning and strong execution.
Engineer Associate - Printed Wire Board Bath Chemist
Ball M&P desires to find a candidate of high integrity, strong desire to satisfy customers, willingness to perform routine testing, quick to learn new skills, willing to take on new assignments or do what is asked, and strong time management skills. This individual needs to fit into the culture of the lab: “Our data can be questioned but never in question, Own the customer’s problem, and we step in when others step out.” Lab experience is a necessity and the applicant must be willing to safely work with chemicals. Individuals with good fine motor skills and good pattern recognition tend to be highly successful in the tasks to which they will be assigned. This individual will need to get things done quickly and accurately.
What You’ll Do:
- Analyze plating and etching baths used in the manufacture of printed wire boards.
- Perform sampling of plating/etching baths and the necessary sample preparation for analysis.
- Analyze plating/etching bath samples using manual titrations, auto titration, atomic absorption, UV-Vis, pH, and other necessary instrumentations and techniques.
- Assist with plating/etching bath maintenance by performing the necessary calculations for additions to ensure the baths are within specifications.
- Maintain control charts to demonstrate all plating/etching baths are within specifications.
- Assure inventory of reagents/bath chemicals, lab consumables, lab glassware, etc. are current to ensure the proper performance of the plating/etching bath laboratory.
- Develop and draft written procedures for analyzing plating and etching baths.
- Perform routine and non-routine lapshear and flatwise tensile testing on production control and development test specimens, at room and elevated temperature.
- Prepare adhesives by mixing and packaging for frozen storage.
- Mix, blend, apply, process, and test adhesive systems to various substrates. Cure such materials at elevated temperature and pressure.
- Isolate and cross section test specimens for metallurgic examination using optical and digital microscopes.
- Test and evaluate materials and assemblies for electrostatic properties, set up workstations and equipment to support manufacture of electrostatic sensitive hardware, perform periodic testing of materials, workstations, and facilities, and other similar activities.
- Photo-document various items, articles, etc. using macro and micro digital photography to capture anomalies, imperfections, etc. and measurements thereof.
- Work with chemicals, cryogenics, hand tools, and power tools in a safe manner within a laboratory setting.
- Work within general laboratory, machine shop, cleanroom, and production floor settings.
- Daily work effort is in support of existing test procedures and assist in development of new test protocols.
- Work on multiple campuses in the Boulder, Westminster, and Broomfield area.
- Work with minimal supervision, working to both verbal and written instruction.
- Accurately complete work in a timely manner.
- Support all programs at Ball Aerospace & Technologies Corp, including but not limited to the Military, National Defense, and Civil business sectors.
- Reporting location will depend on business needs (Westminster, Broomfield, and/or Boulder campuses) and individual skill sets.
- Maintain a regular and predictable work schedule.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships within the department, the Strategic Business Units, Strategic Support Units and the Company. Interact appropriately with others in order to maintain a positive and productive work environment.
- Perform other duties as necessary.
What You’ll Need:
- BS degree or higher in Engineering or a related technical field is required.
- Each higher-level degree, i.e., Master’s Degree or Ph.D., may substitute for two years of experience. Related technical experience may be considered in lieu of education. Degree must be from a university, college, or school which is accredited by an agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education, US Department of Education.
- Degree in Chemistry or Chemical Engineering preferred.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Ability and desire to obtain a security clearance, when necessary.
- Demonstrated computer and mechanical, electrical, and/or laboratory skills.
- General understanding of manual titrations, samples preparation for metals analysis, working with caustics and corrosives, required.
- General understanding of performing analysis using Atomic absorption spectroscopy, UV-Vis, and analytical equipment, required.
- General understanding of auto titrators, preferred.
- Demonstrated experience working with corrosive, caustic, and flammable chemicals in a safe manner required.
- Ability to accurately detect colorimetric titration endpoints of typical visual indicators such as phenolphthalein, bromothymol blue, methyl orange, xylene orange, etc.
- Demonstrated excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Work is performed in an office, laboratory, production floor, or cleanroom, outdoors or remote research environment.
- May occasionally work in production work centers where use of protective equipment and gear is required.
- May access other facilities in various weather conditions.
- Travel and local commute between Ball campuses and other possible non-Ball locations may be required.
A current DoD clearance and/or SCI access with Polygraph is not required to be eligible for this position, however applicant must be willing and eligible for submission within 60-90 days after an offer is accepted and must be able to maintain the applicable clearance/access. By applying to this position, you are agreeing to complete a National Security Clearance Pre-Screen Questionnaire to evaluate your general ability to obtain the required security clearance or government customer access associated with this position.
Relocation for this position is available.
Compensation & Benefits:
- HIRING SALARY RANGE: $66,000 - $82,000 (Salary to be determined by the education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities of the applicant, internal equity, and alignment with market data.)
- This position includes a competitive benefits package. For details, copy and paste https://bit.ly/3pNSnxv into your browser or visit our careers site.
US CITIZENSHIP IS REQUIRED
Ball Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, or disability status.