Outrider, the pioneer in autonomous yard operations for logistics hubs, helps large enterprises improve safety, increase efficiency, and optimize their workforce. The only company exclusively focused on automating all aspects of yard operations, Outrider eliminates manual tasks that are hazardous and repetitive. Outrider’s mission is to drive the rapid adoption of sustainable freight transportation by deploying zero-emission systems. Outrider is a private company backed by NEA, 8VC, and other top-tier investors.
You'll be the key to creating reliable, safety-critical embedded software that controls our autonomous vehicle hardware - brakes, steering, actuation, and other functions. Given your background developing embedded software for commercially-deployed mobile robotics applications, you'll have a major, positive impact on the performance, reliability, and safety of the Outrider System!
The Embedded Software Engineer will be responsible for contributing to all applications of embedded software in Outrider's products, including vehicle controls, actuation, and navigation; signal processing; and communications. The role requires exceptional software engineering skills – you will be responsible for helping build and support autonomous vehicle systems that redefine large enterprise supply chains and boast safe, error-free, and effective operational performance.
The opportunity offers a very talented software engineer the chance to help develop a market-defining enterprise product that combines autonomous vehicle technology with a software-as-a-service (SaaS) business model. The ideal candidate will embrace our goal to drive zero-emission, self-driving vehicle adoption, and help us realize our potential to define, build, and lead a new, category of robotic automation for the enterprise.
Duties and responsibilities
- Develop embedded software modules from scratch in C for the Outrider vehicle controller through all phases of the development lifecycle: requirements, design, source code implementation, unit test, integration, and system test
- Provision and support hardware & software updates to be released and rolled out to customer sites
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, electrical/electronics engineering, or a related field
- Demonstrated C development experience focused on embedded applications
- Background in embedded software development (ideally for marine, ground, air, or space vehicles, autonomous or otherwise)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Exceptional analytical skills
- Demonstrated strong leadership and people skills
- Ability and willingness to travel to customer locations (up to 25%)
- Sterling references
- Experience developing software for safety-critical applications
- Familiarity with real-time operating systems (RTOS) development
- Familiarity with functional safety specifications, including ISO 26262 and IEC 61508
- A pedigree in robotics and/or autonomous vehicle systems
- Master’s degree in computer science, mechanical engineering, robotics, electrical/electronics engineering, or computer engineering
- Familiarity with C++, Python, and/or ROS
- Experience with the CAN bus standard and/or Ethernet and UDP
- Familiarity with functional safety specifications, including ISO 26262, ISO 13849, and MIL-STD-882
Read Full Job Description