Outrider, the pioneer in autonomous yard operations for logistics hubs, helps large enterprises improve safety and increase efficiency. The only company exclusively focused on automating all aspects of yard operations, Outrider eliminates manual tasks that are hazardous and repetitive. Outrider’s mission is to drive the rapid adoption of sustainable freight transportation by deploying zero-emission systems. Outrider is a private company backed by NEA, 8VC, and other top-tier investors. For more information, visit www.outrider.ai
In the Electrical Engineer position, you'll be working as part of the hardware engineering team to create safe and reliable autonomous vehicle systems. You’ll be responsible for areas such as architecture, development, testing and safety of the electronic systems that enable our vehicles and supporting products. A primary early responsibility will be to support the design, development, and delivery of a safety-critical vehicle system for logistics hubs.
The successful candidate will have a demonstrated history of contributing technically to the design and implementation of complex electronic systems in autonomous vehicles, robotic systems, or advanced sensing.
This role is mission-critical for helping deliver a safety-critical system for industrial automation. The opportunity offers a technical, hands-on team leader the chance to help develop a market-defining enterprise product that combines autonomous vehicle technology with a software-as-a-service (SaaS) business model.
The ideal candidate will embrace our goal to drive zero-emission, self-driving vehicle adoption, and help us realize our potential to define, build, and lead a new category of robotic automation for the enterprise.
Duties and responsibilities
- Design, analyze and test complex electronic systems that enable advanced autonomous vehicles
- Develop production-ready electronic sub-assemblies (PCBs, wire harnesses, electronic enclosures, etc.) that can be manufactured at scale
- Help create the safety-critical system that enables our high-performance and efficient autonomous vehicle
- Collaborate with the functional safety, software, and systems engineering teams to create and implement hazard analysis/risk assessment documentation; identify safety-critical functions; develop system risk mitigation/reduction plans; and generate system and procedural requirements
- Lead the electrical engineering efforts for Impact Analysis, Requirements Traceability, FMEA, FMEDA, Verification and Validation, and Fault Injection Testing
- Collaborate with systems, software, and test teams to refine electronic architectures
- Develop, improve and sustain electronic testing fixtures and processes
- Evaluate new electronic components and their impact on system safety and performance
- Support field testing and debugging, both locally and at remote customer sites
- Debug wire harnesses, electronic assemblies and installed systems
- Travel to support customer deployments on-site (25%)
- Minimum 3 years of professional experience in design and debugging of complex electrical systems
- Experience developing systems according to functional safety standards for complex electronic systems (e.g. ISO 13849, IEC 61508, MIL-STD-882, ISO 26262)
- Demonstrated initiative and ability to deconstruct complex problems into discrete components
- Excellent documentation and technical writing skills
- Background in electronic troubleshooting for complex electronic systems, wire harnesses, and data buses (e.g., CAN, RS-232)
- Proficiency with multimeters and oscilloscopes
- Basic soldering, crimping, and electronic prototyping experience
- Autonomous vehicle experience
- Automotive systems design experience
- PCB design, assembly and rework experience, preferably in the automotive, trucking, or similarly challenging environment
- Wire harness design and debugging experience
- Firmware design and implementation experience, especially in C
- Experience designing PCBs with Altium
- Experience developing for EMI/RFI isolation and shielding (including grounding techniques)
Compensation & Benefits
- Salary range of $80,000 - $130,000. For benefits, check this out!