Outrider, the pioneer in autonomous yard operations for logistics hubs, helps large enterprises improve safety, increase efficiency, and optimize their workforce. The only company exclusively focused on automating all aspects of yard operations, Outrider eliminates manual tasks that are hazardous and repetitive. Outrider’s mission is to drive the rapid adoption of sustainable freight transportation by deploying zero-emission systems. Outrider is a private company backed by NEA, 8VC, and other top-tier investors.
In the Electrical Engineer position, you'll be working as part of the hardware engineering team to create safe and reliable autonomous vehicle systems. You’ll be responsible for areas such as architecture, development, and testing of the electronic systems that enable our vehicles and supporting products. A primary early responsibility will be to improve the overall vehicle electronic architecture, while also diving deep on new electronic designs to implement that architecture.
The successful candidate will have a demonstrated history of contributing technically to the design and implementation of complex electronic systems in autonomous vehicles, robotic systems, or advanced sensing.
The Electrical Engineer will report to the head of Electronic Systems. This role is mission-critical for helping deliver a safety-critical system for industrial automation. The opportunity offers a technical, hands-on team leader the chance to help develop a market-defining enterprise product that combines autonomous vehicle technology with a software-as-a-service (SaaS) business model.
The ideal candidate will embrace our goal to drive zero-emission, self-driving vehicle adoption, and help us realize our potential to define, build, and lead a new, category of robotic automation for the enterprise.
Duties and responsibilities
- Design, analyze and test complex electronic systems that enable advanced autonomous vehicles
- Develop production-ready electronic sub-assemblies (PCBs, wire harnesses, electronic enclosures, etc.) that can be manufactured at scale
- Collaborate with systems, software, and test teams to refine electronic architectures
- Develop, improve and sustain electronic testing fixtures and processes
- Evaluate new electronic components and their impact on system safety and performance
- Support field testing and debugging, both locally and at remote customer sites
- Debug wire harnesses, electronic assemblies and installed systems
- Travel to support customer deployments on-site (25%)
- Minimum 2 years of professional experience in design and debugging of complex electrical systems
- Demonstrated initiative and ability to deconstruct complex problems into discrete components
- Background in electronic troubleshooting for complex electronic systems, wire harnesses, and data buses (e.g., CAN, RS-232)
- Experience designing for EMI/RFI isolation and shielding (including grounding techniques)
- Proficiency with multimeters and oscilloscopes
- Wire harness design and debugging experience
- Basic soldering, crimping, and electronic prototyping experience
- Excellent documentation and technical writing skills
- Autonomous vehicle experience
- Automotive systems design experience
- PCB design, assembly and rework experience, preferably in the automotive, trucking, or similarly challenging environment
- Firmware design and implementation experience, especially in C
- Mechanical CAD experience (especially SolidWorks)
- Ability to work in MS Visio without guidance
- Test software development background (Python preferred)
- Familiarity with RF design/test plan creation and execution
Read Full Job Description