Director of Software Engineering at VIZIO (Greater Denver Area, CO)
VIZIO is seeking a Director of Software Engineering, UX Appllications for SmartCast TV and Sound Bar Technology. We are seeking engineers who care about the people they work with, the work they create, and the teams they nurture. At VIZIO we're built around supporting each other in a relaxed, collaborative environment. We're focused on learning, doing something new and valuable, and encouraging our team to do the same. With flexible work hours, a collaborative open-door environment, and teams who support each other in and out of the office, our work experience becomes meaningful. (And we don't focus on hierarchy; instead, we work together to create the roles we're most excited about). Now we need a brilliant Director of Software Engineering to join us and own the development of our Application features through the full-release lifecycle.
What You Will Do
- Drive the execution and delivery of features by collaborating with many cross functional teams, architects, product owners and engineer.
- Lead, create, coach, and mentor Application software engineering team, through product discovery that helps identify and break our product goals into technical projects.
- Empowering the engineers and dev leads in your teams to succeed by identify how to measure success, and mentor them on how to achieve those goals.
- Make critical decisions that attribute to the success of the product.
- Proactive in foreseeing issues and resolve it before it happens.
- Ensuring teams have clear priorities and adequate resources.
- Participating in architecture discussions and planning.
- Participating in cross-functional coordination, planning, and reviews with leads from other engineering teams.
- Empowering the delivery team to self-organize.
- Be a multiplier and have a passion for team and team members' success.
- Providing technical guidance, career development, and mentoring to team members.
- Maintaining high morale and motivating the delivery team to go above and beyond.
- Vocally advocating for technical excellence and helping the teams make good decisions.
- Maintaining and fostering our culture by interviewing and hiring only the most qualified individuals.
- Occasionally contributing to development tasks such as coding and feature verifications to assist teams with release commitments, to gain an understanding of the deeply technical product as well as to keep your technical acumen sharp.
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science (or a related program) or equivalent work experience.
- 10 years of experience managing multiple teams in software development efforts utilizing Agile methodologies (SCRUM a plus).
- You have experience developing software development managers/technical leads.
- You have 10+ years of Application developement across platforms.
- You have experience following and mentoring teams to follow the latest Application Development best practices, patterns and recommendations.
- You have solid understand of the full UX developmment life cycle.
- You have experience in shipping multiple generations of the same product and learning from each major release.
- You have experience in managing multiple charters, multiple teams and being a leader of leaders.
- You are a self-starter that thrives in a fast-paced, yet at times, ambiguous environment.
- You are a hard-working team player, with a "no task is too small" attitude.
- You are a creative problem-solver who digs into root causes analytically, instead of relying on intuition.
- You have excellent written and verbal communication skills. Ability to tell complex stories simply and adapt to questions, rather than just presenting information.
- You have strong project management skills. Ability to manage multiple projects and cross-functional stakeholders simultaneously to drive outcomes within often tight deadlines or quick turnaround times.
- You possess a high attention to detail.
We are Beautifully Simple.
Headquartered in Irvine, California, VIZIO is a leading HDTV brand in America and the #1 Sound Bar Brand in America. VIZIO's mission is to deliver high performance, smarter products with the latest innovations at a significant savings that we can pass along to our consumers. Our loyal following and industry-wide praise continues to grow as we redefine what it means to be smart.
VIZIO, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regards to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
We do not accept unsolicited agency resumes. We will not pay fees to any third-party agency, outside recruiter or firm without a mutually agreed-upon contract and will not be responsible for any agency fees associated with unsolicited resumes. Unsolicited resumes will be considered our property and will be processed accordingly.
For Colorado-based employment: The minimum salary for this position is $180,000/year. The compensation package includes the annual bonus in addition to a range of medical, dental, vision and other benefits.