Director of Software Engineering at Granicus LLC
Are you looking for meaning and purpose in the work you do?
Granicus is a global (remote first) software as a service company building products for the public sector. We digitize government services for all levels of government: city, county, state and federal. We also work with the UK, Canada, Australia and EU.
Examples of our work:
- City of Oakland, California has used Granicus solutions to enhance its transparency and citizen engagement efforts.
- In the aftermath of Hurricane Harvey, the City of Hurst, Texas was inundated with calls and emails about how to provide donations, dollars or a helping hand, which consumed valuable staff time. They needed a "central source of truth" and an easier way to get vital information to residents before, during and after the hurricane.
- Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS) needed an efficient way to improve and increase foster parent recruitment in the state with a 400% over goal result.
Click => Success Stories to learn more about the impactful work we've done in communities across the country and world.
Some quick highlights about us:
- #1 GovTech company
- 22B messages sent annually (22B is not a typo)
- 280M subscribers
- 900+ global employees (300+ on the product team)
- Remote first company, this is not temporary. Should you be seeking an in person or hybrid situation and live near one of our hubs we can accommodate you.
Click => Careers to learn more about working at Granicus.
NOTE: Granicus is subject to the Executive Order requiring employees of federal contractors to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19.
About this role:
- Hiring Manager: Bob Ainsbury - Chief Product Officer - LinkedIn Profile
- Salary Range: $130,000+ plus bonus (starting salary may differ by experience and/or location)
- Interview process: 5-6 steps that can be done in 2 weeks (calendars permitting)
The following is a profile or persona of who we are looking for. If you have many of the characteristics below, and we want to learn more about all your skills, please apply so we can start a conversation.
The Director of Software Engineering at Granicus is a managerial and technical leader of a software engineering department.
This person has extensive hands-on experience in software engineering and can make responsible tactical and strategic decisions concerning the operability, sustainability, security, and scalability of the Granicus platform. They develop procedures and practices that support the execution of the engineering team's goals, while helping to maintain the innovative, fun, and focused culture of the team.
The Director works with leaders across the Product Team – such as the Security Team, the Program Manager, and the Director of Operations – to ensure key stakeholders' needs are represented. The Director establishes and collects key performance indicators of their team to report to upper management.
The Director will not be expected to code but will benefit greatly from the experience of having done so in the past.
Finally, the Director is a manager of managers, and handles employee development, mentoring, training, and performance assessments.
The Director reports to the VP of Software Engineering and has managerial and technical oversight of multiple distributed teams, overseeing software development, security and quality practices, hiring and training, product roadmap realization, and ongoing measurements of team success.
What you get to do
- Represent software engineering interests in interactions with product management, platform engineering, and technical operations leaders
- Assist in development and refinement of training materials for new employees and existing employees
- Define, refine, and report key performance indicators for the software teams to provide clarity on productivity and technical health
- Ensure scrum teams are delivering on commitments according to plan
- Assist with the creation of a security and quality culture in each scrum team
- Drive hiring decisions for key roles in engineering teams
- Identify and/or help to eliminate obstacles or sources of inefficiency in the software development process
- Lead teams in adhering to Granicus best practices in SDLC and staying astride of new developments in secure, performant, and reliable software development
- Multiple years of experience managing software engineers through successful product deliveries in a fast paced, collaborative environment
- Deep knowledge of Agile development, in particular Scrum
- Experience managing global development teams, particularly with teams co-located in India and North America and/or Europe
- Several years of hands-on experience in software engineering as an individual contributor
- Excellent communication (verbal and written) skills for interacting with all internal organizations and business customer groups
- Elevated level of personal initiative, integrity, and leadership
- Ability to serve as the technical leader of a distributed, collaborative, and extraordinarily skilled software development team
- Experience with secure coding practices and secure software development lifecycles
Responsible for Granicus information security by appropriately preserving the Confidentiality, Integrity, and Availability (CIA) of Granicus information assets
following the company's information security program.