Director, Software Development at IHS Markit Digital
Director, Software Development
IHS Markit is building an enterprise grade engineering platform to support engineers across a wide variety of segments in their daily work. We deploy a world class semantic search engine utilizing ML and advanced feedback loops to deliver a world class search experience to our users. The product includes tooling to support engineers, and includes high-performance image extraction and display tools using Cassandra and Elasticsearch as our back-end repositories.
Our development teams architect and design for high-availability, scalable, and fault tolerant systems that is decoupled and easy-to-maintain. A core part of our development philosophy revolves around Microservice and the DevOps model. All our new products are developed as microservices, are containerized, and then deployed on container management systems such as Kubernetes. The developers on our teams subscribe to a DevOps model where time to market is a vital measure that we are constantly striving to improve. SQA is considered a part of the development process. As such, automated unit testing, regression, and integration tests are considered a key part of reaching our TTM goals.
We believe in a method of working dynamically and collaboratively that supports freedom and responsibility, wherein the “you build it, you run it” philosophy is one that we value, promote, and enact on a daily basis. Our teams work in close collaboration with each other and we emphasize idea-sharing as a way to foster productivity.
IHS Markit is seeking an experienced, driven and hands on, Director based in Denver, CO who will report to the Executive Director of Software Development. This role will be responsible for leading the development effort for several scrum teams in one of our key product offerings. The candidate has experience with leading multiple development teams both offshore and on-site. The candidate has experience in developing and deploying native cloud-based solutions, possesses a passion for container-based technologies, immutable infrastructure, and continuous delivery practices in deploying global commercial software. They also ensure that the software meets the required standards and follows industry best practices. As Director, you are also skilled in fostering collaboration, innovation and integrity not only within your team but across team boundaries.
- Provide thought leadership in technology direction, technical services, vendor partnership, and industry standards adoption.
- Assume a leadership role in ensuring on-time, high-quality delivery of products through the entire application life cycle.
- Serve as mentor and coach to technical delivery staff.
- Promote knowledge sharing across product-development teams.
- Maintain an excellent understanding of the business long term goals and strategy and ensures that designs are aligned with these.
- Track and communicate team progress and team status to the stakeholders.
- Collaborate effectively with technical and non-technical partners
Education / Experience
- Eight (10) or more years of increasing responsibility in technical roles, with 4 or more years of experience managing multiple development teams.
- Existing experience with container runtimes and container management systems such as Kubernetes.
- Ability to work with wide variety of programing languages
- Real-world experience providing technical leadership on Agile software development projects.
- Experience in Microservice architecture and development including REST based APIs.
- Experience with software for high volume data ingestion using technologies such as Storm, Kafka and Redis.
- Cloud experience with deploying and integrating cloud native applications with several providers.
- Ability to function well when working in somewhat ambiguous situations.
- Strong, effective communication skills as to bring multiple personalities and cultures together to work towards a common goal.
IHS Markit is committed to providing equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by the laws and regulations in any of our locations.
We are proud to provide reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. If you are interested in applying for employment with IHS Markit and need special assistance or an accommodation to use our website or to apply for a position, please contact or call +1 212 849 0399. Determination on requests for reasonable accommodation are considered on a case-by-case basis. This contact information (email and phone) is intended for application assistance and accommodation requests only. We are unable to accept resumes or provide information about application status through the phone number or email address above. Resumes are only accepted through the online application process, and only qualified candidates will receive consideration and follow-up.
IHS Markit maintains a substance-free workplace; employees may be asked to submit to a drug test (where permitted by law). In addition, as a federal contractor in the United States, the company participates in the E-Verify Program to confirm eligibility to work.