Director, Software Development at Vertafore
We are in search of the world's most creative and experienced engineering leaders. We embrace entrepreneurs as well as those who come from more established organizations. As a key member of the product development leadership team, you will lead the development and technical strategy for our enterprise products. Partnering with product management and sales, you will interact with strategic customers designing innovative solutions that meet their business needs.
You will lead multiple teams of amazing engineers, influence many others and provide leadership on design and architecture, strategy, and technology approaches. We expect you to be an accomplished engineer, have strong hands on technical experience and deep knowledge in one or more areas of distributed systems and enterprise web delivery platforms. Our culture fosters collaboration, innovation, integrity, mentorship, commitment to success and FUN and you will be adding your creativity and energy to it. Our managers are dedicated to growing their people and offering an opportunity that allows you to make impact in your career.
If you love technology, leadership, being on the frontline of technical innovation, and are looking for a creative, fun and friendly workplace where you get to develop software that will transform the insurance industry, we would love to get in touch with you.
Core requirements and responsibilities:
Essential job functions included but are not limited to the following:
- Effectively manage relationships (up, down, across) and able to roll-up their sleeves to get the job done
- Influence across boundaries and at all levels of the organization
- Think strategically to help drive features and services for short and long-term growth
- Create a fun, fast paced, motivating and rewarding environment for their teams and the organization
- Attract, build and retain a highly engaged and capable development teams that can deliver on our technology and business strategies
- Think end-to-end by connecting all the pieces of the business (development, product management, QA, operations, etc.) to deliver the features to delight the customer while leveraging all available assets
- Provide strong people management: attracting, retaining, inspiring and growing individuals; demonstrate a passion for people development and mobility
- Creatively turn problems and solutions on their heads to come up with better designs, better technical solutions, better products
- Closely follow industry trends and the open source community
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Makes decisions across the product that help long-term maintainability, reuse, security and performance
- Hunger to learn new concepts, new technologies, and be exposed to/adopt new ideas
- Have kept their coding skills sharp and care deeply about writing solid code
- Communicate effectively cross-functionally across various teams, organizations and internal and external stakeholders to drive engineering effort
- Self-motivated and excellent problem-solvers
- Driven to improve, personally and professionally
- Mentor and inspire others to raise the bar for everyone around them
- Collaborate with their peers, designing pragmatic solutions
- Effectively lead and manage change within their area of responsibility as well as across the business
- Operate best in a fast-paced, flexible work environment
- Have a cooperative, collaborative, open and flexible mindset
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science (or related technical field) or equivalent practical experience
- Are very strong in both design, architecture and implementation at an enterprise level
- Experience with Scaled Agile software development
- Have experience with Test Driven Development
- Have an intense passion for innovating and designing technology solutions and mentoring their teams
- Have professional experience as a development manager in an agile environment including working with enterprise customers on large scale projects
- Have proven track record in leading architecture, design, development and operations of enterprise scale web delivery platforms, products and services in a high performance and high-availability SaaS environment
- Can interact with customers to gather insights and translate technical concepts
- Have experience with Java and common frameworks
- Have experience with React.js or similar
- Can work advanced database magic with relational and NoSQL databases
- Are in-tune with high performance and high availability design/programming
- Have experience in security best practices for software and data platforms
- Design 'perfect-fit' solutions with engineering teams and business units to drive business growth and customer delight
Additional Requirements and Details:
- Travel required up to 10% of the time
- Located and working from an office location
- Occasional lifting and/or moving up to 10 pounds
- Frequent repetitive hand and arm movements required to operate a computer
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision (working on a computer, etc.)
- Frequent sitting and/or standing
Vertafore is a drug free workplace and conducts preemployment drug and background screenings.
The selected candidate must be legally authorized to work in the United States.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all the job responsibilities, duties, skill, or working conditions. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice. In addition, this document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an "at will" relationship.
Vertafore strongly supports equal employment opportunity for all applicants regardless of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, marital status, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by state or federal law.