Company. What we are building:
Skupos is the data platform for the convenience retail industry. Retailers, distributors, and brands connect to the Skupos network to create value from disparate data. Convenience retail is a long-standing industry with limited technology adoption, but is responsible for more revenue annually than all of e-commerce in the United States. Skupos leverages our massive datasets to build tools that help the industry succeed.
Skupos software integrates at a retailer’s point of sale, generates analytical insights, and enables promotion execution and performance tracking. For distributors and CPG brands, we provide real-time visibility into consumer purchasing decisions and enable automated promotional discounts at the point of sale. We view our company as revolutionizing a brick-and-mortar industry by bringing cutting-edge technology to physical stores, and helping harness data to create a frictionless connection between millions of people and the products they need.
Role. An overview of the opportunity:
At Skupos, we are committed to delivering the most innovative and industry leading digital products that our customers will love. Our Engineering group ensures Skupos delivers first-class web and Data products that disrupt supply chain convenience store business and delight our customers. Working in collaboration with our engineering, product, design and go-to-market teams, we will build software that solves real-world problems.
With a talented and diverse team of engineers, we are proud of our inclusive culture, deep customer focus and technical excellence. In this critical leadership position reporting to VP Engineering, you will work closely with your product management and design counterparts as well as data science and data engineering peers to deliver world class web applications.
Success is achieved by passionately advocating for technical excellence, software quality, and process/organizational improvements. In the capacity of a Director of Engineering, you will fulfill a core leadership function for your team carrying responsibility for technical excellence, execution, cross-functional collaboration, people growth, and day-to-day management.
Core Responsibilities. You will:
- Direct and coach engineering teams comprising backend, frontend, infrastructure and DevOps in successfully delivering scalable, maintainable, and secure features to our customers
- Prioritize short-term and long-term goals, along with architectural trade-offs to ensure the team is able to deliver quality results while meeting the team’s deliverables
- Drive the technical strategy, roadmap and priorities for your teams, and work with dependencies across the company
- Support the engineering team in achieving a high level of technical excellence and stability
- Grow your teams by coaching, developing, promoting the engineers on your teams, and by attracting and hiring top talent
- Represent the team to engineering groups internally, to executive sponsor in various functional groups within Skupos, to current and future customers, and to our partner organizations
- Build a diverse team while fostering a collaborative and inclusive environment
- Collaborate with Product/Project Managers to plan, implement, and deliver tasks and features on a timely basis with best practices
- Deliver Web applications with integration to backend services deployed on the cloud with high quality and responsiveness
- Create strong practices around test-driven development
- Prioritize to manage ad-hoc requests in parallel with ongoing projects
- Manage a geographically dispersed technical team
- Contribute to engineering-wide initiatives as a member of Skupos’s engineering management team
- Be a critical partner contributing to Skupos’s broader success
Experience. You should have:
- Passion for leading teams through transformations
- Organizational leadership, ability to inspire and grow teams, and attract great talent
- Enjoys product and design ideation as much as they do building product
- Ability to be both player & coach: We’re looking for someone who is passionate about getting into the details and driving large technology initiatives while coaching and empowering teams to take ownership
- Strong technologist, not purely a "manager of managers", but capable of doing code reviews, architecture review and driving deep technical discussion with architects/Sr. Engineers
- 5+ years of experience successfully leading, managing, and coaching engineering teams
- 10+ years of hands-on software development experience
- Experience in building and supporting B2B/B2C SaaS applications used at scale
- Deep understanding or experience in scaling monolithic applications / transformation to service-oriented architecture
- Deep expertise in building software platforms, specifically performance distributed systems, leveraging modern frameworks
- Well versed in modern cloud native technologies and frameworks
- A deep understanding of the agile software development process
- Must be a compelling and clear communicator, able to represent your team to internal and external audiences with differing levels of technical fluency
- Ability to handle multiple competing priorities/projects in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to develop a results-driven culture focused on core values of ownership and accountability
- Good Analytical, Problem-Solving, and Debugging skills
- Continuously increasing your team's work quality & performance
- Ability to think from a product mindset
- Have overseen development across the full stack
- Strong Technical Leader — You direct the team with deep technical expertise through a people-first mentality style
- Resourceful — You are a go-getter that leads by example, drives self-research and is an endless problem solver
- Clear — You provide clear and actionable direction to your team and customers
- Collaborative — A dynamic team player, you are proactive about soliciting and giving feedback
- Passionate — You love quality engineering, design and technology and the role it has in shaping the future
Benefits. What we offer:
- Competitive salary
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- 401(k) retirement savings plan
- Discretionary time off (DTO)
- Wellness stipend
- And more!
A Note on Covid...
We are fortunate to continue to grow during this unfortunate time. Our top priority is to ensure the health and safety of both our current and future Skupeeps.
As of July, our physical office spaces have reopened on a voluntary basis. Our Skuad members are allowed onsite if they are fully vaccinated (2 weeks past final vaccine dose). That being said, we will continue to manage our interview process virtually, don't be surprised if children or pets make an appearance.
We deeply care about you as our candidate, so let the People Team know if there’s anything we can do to make your interview process go more smoothly - we are in your corner!