Outrider, the pioneer in autonomous yard operations for logistics hubs, helps large enterprises improve safety, increase efficiency, and optimize their workforce. The only company exclusively focused on automating all aspects of yard operations, Outrider eliminates manual tasks that are hazardous and repetitive. Outrider’s mission is to drive the rapid adoption of sustainable freight transportation by deploying zero-emission systems. Outrider is a private company backed by NEA, 8VC, and other top-tier investors.
The buck stops with you. You'll be responsible for creating system safety and functional safety plans and overseeing the design, development, and delivery of a safety-critical autonomous vehicle system for logistics hubs.
The Director of Functional Safety will drive all system safety engineering efforts that lead to the scaled commercialization a safety-critical system capable of performing work around the clock, year-round, in congested and challenging conditions at Fortune 500 shipping facilities worldwide. This will include work in close collaboration with the commercial, hardware, software, and test engineering teams.
This opportunity offers a talented engineer technology executive the chance to help develop a market-defining enterprise product that combines autonomous vehicle technology with a software-as-a-service (SaaS) business model.
- Develop and oversee the creation of the safety-critical system components (from architecture to unit/schematic) necessary to field a highly efficient, safe, and performant autonomous vehicle operating in an outdoor, industrial environment
- Work in concert with the hardware, software, and test engineering teams to create and implement hazard analysis/risk assessment documentation; identify safety-critical functions; develop system risk mitigation/reduction plans; and generate system and procedural requirements
- Elicit, document and verify requirements throughout the product development cycle
- Support the development of test plans, as well as their execution and associated artifact generation
- Work in concert with an accreditation authority during the full process to ensure a successful outcome
- Work with customers and the Outrider engineering/commercial teams to develop site-specific safety plans
- Manage the functional safety approach across the organization, including fostering a safety culture, training staff at all levels, auditing and assessing suppliers, designing and carrying out verification methods, and planning/executing/evaluating of the system validation process
- BS in Engineering
- Experience (ideally 3+ years) developing safety-critical systems as a systems engineer (secondarily as a hardware or software developer)
- Knowledge of (and experience using) functional safety standards for the development and fielding of complex systems (e.g. ISO 13849, IEC 61508, MIL-STD-882, ISO 26262)
- Experience leading a system safety team in the development and fielding of a robotic system with safety-critical components
- Background in or exposure to C, C++, Python, and ROS