We are an insurtech company where smart people can see the impact of their work as we tackle meaningful problems together. We think it’s fun to disrupt an industry that has been slow to change. But we aren’t shaking things up for the sake of change, we’re here to solve big problems using technology and an innovative approach to improve how small business owners access insurance. Like our small business clients, we are a diverse team of builders, dreamers, and entrepreneurs, so at the heart of every decision we make is the idea that if it doesn’t serve our clients, it doesn’t serve us. We hire passionate people who like to work hard, yet we also know that life exists outside the office. Small businesses are the backbone of the economy; talented team members are the backbone of Pie. We are pie-oneering a whole new approach to insurance.
How You’ll Do It
In this position, you’ll be assisting the CTO to drive the technology vision of Pie Insurance, hiring and managing the team to deliver on this vision, and establishing and maintaining the appropriate procedures to support a culture of rapid development with confidence. You will be heavily involved in recruiting and mentoring the engineering team.
You will be a strategic partner to the Founders, CTO, and the rest of the executive team, responsible for setting the culture and cadence for the technology department, fostering strong relationships, increasing product velocity, and achieving schedule predictability. You will have expertise in software architecture, team-building, real-time dynamic feedback loops, data, analytics, and software development. You will build and lead In this position, you’ll be assisting the CTO to drive the technology vision of Pie Insurance, hiring and managing the team to deliver on this vision, and establishing and maintaining the appropriate procedures to support a culture of rapid development with confidence. You will be heavily involved in recruiting and mentoring the engineering team. Leading a technology team of world-class software engineers with a passion for engineering excellence and meeting commitments. You will collaborate with the product team to establish a roadmap and timeline for technology and platform development. And you will wake up each morning focused on leading Pie Insurance to have the best engineering team, platform tools, and processes.
The Right Stuff
- Must work daily from the office in Denver, CO
- 10+ years of software engineering experience.
- 5+ years managing, mentoring, and building high performing software engineering teams focused on quality delivery at scale
- Experience as a technology leader in an organization with high growth. Startup experience is preferred
- Experience working in Fintech or Insurtech is a strong plus.
- Experience working in an online customer and data-driven business with a proven track record of success
- Technology agnostic; experience with micro-services architecture
- Experience with performance tuning, reliability, redundancy, and fault-tolerant architectures. Solid understanding and experience in the Agile methodology, hands-on management of Agile, interactive development of spanning specification, prototyping, architecture, QA, and support.
- Experience with a broad range of systems, APIs, protocols, and standards.
- Experience working with industry-standard testing and code quality frameworks
- Ability to own and manage multiple concurrent projects, including presenting and negotiating with stakeholders on the interdependencies and possibilities of what can be realistically delivered
- Expert at spotting talent and passionate about growing world-class engineers on your team.
- Education: Undergraduate in Computer Science (or similar) is required.
- Competitive Salary
- A piece of the Pie (in the form of stock grants)
- Comprehensive health plans
- Generous PTO
- Paid sick leave
- Commute Allowance
- Future focused 401k Match
- Modern office space with onsite gym
- Our core values are more than just a poster on the wall; they’re tangibly reflected in our work and recognized with our monthly culture award.
- Generous Parental Leave
Pie Insurance Named a Top Colorado Company 2020
Pie is rated Excellent by our customers on Trustpilot
Check out our great reviews from current and former employees on Glassdoor
Pie raises an additional $127M in funding