Director of Engineering at Pie Insurance
Greater Denver Area
!Sorry, this job was removed at 11:41 a.m. (MST) on Friday, March 27, 2020
In this position, you’ll be assisting the CTO to drive the technology vision of Pie Insurance, hiring and managing the team to deliver on this vision, and establishing and maintaining the appropriate procedures to support a culture of rapid development with confidence. You will be heavily involved in recruiting and mentoring the engineering team.
How You’ll Do It
You will be a strategic partner to the Founders, CTO, and the rest of the executive team, responsible for setting the culture and cadence for the technology department, fostering strong relationships, increasing product velocity, and achieving schedule predictability. You will have expertise in software architecture, team-building, real-time dynamic feedback loops, data, analytics, and software development.
Build and lead our technology team of world-class software engineers with a passion for engineering excellence and meeting commitments.
Collaborate with the product team to establish a roadmap and timeline for technology and platform development.
Wake up each morning focused on leading Pie Insurance to have the best engineering team, platform tools, and processes.
Whether It’s Right For You
You will be joining our team in our Denver office. Everything we do is connected, but we each have different roles. That means we need you to be a leader first and foremost and then executor. We are a start-up. All hands and minds are needed. We expect you’ll have at least ten years of software engineering experience. Of course, you’ll also need certain skills and abilities to do the work:
Direct the software engineering team to deliver technology on committed timelines by understanding our customers and their needs, developing actionable roadmaps, drive and prioritize engineering resources, and enable the team to adhere to technical decisions.
Maintain and enhance our engineering culture by instilling an environment where commitment, engineering excellence, and innovation thrive together. Team members must be able to grow as engineers and technical leaders. Teams must feel a sense of urgency and be accountable. Mentoring is a key aspect of this role.
Attract and retain world-class engineers that are just not amazing technically, but can be part of a collaborative, dynamic team. Teams must work together, to provide great software to our customers. Continually measure and improve the engineering processes so the team can consistently deliver high-value capabilities to our customers. You must do this by operating transparently, holding people accountable, and identifying and communicating problems early.
Strong Technical Acumen by possessing the architectural experience and knowledge combined with inclusion and communication skills to facilitate coordinated product solutions across multiple teams. Assist the team in making design decisions, balancing documentation vs. code, and deciding when to refactor as opposed to starting fresh.
Provide thought leadership on how to be the winner in a competitive market with complex technology needs.
The Right Stuff
- Must work daily from the office in Denver, CO
- 10+ years of software engineering experience.
- 5+ years managing, mentoring, and building high performing software engineering teams focused on quality delivery at scale
- Experience as a technology leader in an organization with high growth. Startup experience is preferred
- Experience working in Fintech or Insurtech is a strong plus.
- Experience working in an online customer and data-driven business with a proven track record of successTechnology agnostic; experience with micro-services architecture
- Experience with performance tuning, reliability, redundancy, and fault-tolerant architectures. Solid understanding and experience in the Agile methodology, hands-on management of Agile, interactive development of spanning specification, prototyping, architecture, QA, and support.
- Experience with a broad range of systems, APIs, protocols, and standards.
- Experience working with industry-standard testing and code quality frameworks
- Ability to own and manage multiple concurrent projects, including presenting and negotiating with stakeholders on the interdependencies and possibilities of what can be realistically delivered
- Expert at spotting talent and passionate about growing world-class engineers on your team. Education: Undergraduate in Computer Science (or similar) is required.
Working at Pie
- You expect to challenge others and to be challenged.
- Your communication style is candid and compassionate.
- You share your knowledge. We aren’t here to compete with one another; we are in it to win it, together.
- You share our passion for the small business community.
Pie Insurance provides workers’ compensation insurance directly to small businesses online. Offering A.M. Best A rated coverage, Pie leverages data analytics, easy-to-use online features, and a seasoned team of insurance experts to create an insurance model that’s as easy as pie. We began offering insurance policies in 2018 with a mission of helping small businesses experience true savings and an unmatched level of service.
Read Full Job Description