Director of Data Engineering at Guild Education
Guild is hiring for a Director of Data Engineering! As the Director of Data Engineering you will oversee a high performing team of data engineers to innovate and build software that helps students take advantage of Guild’s affordable education programs and coaching services. You will be growing, mentoring and managing a team of data engineers focused on building high performing and quality data pipelines, building a centralized source of truth, ETL and external data transmissions. Your team will be focused on building solutions that will scale with our continued business growth. Moreover, you’ll use your passion in data technology and managing engineering teams to build a top performing team within the organization focused on building core technology that helps to enable education benefits for students.
You will love this role if are excited about making a difference with technology by leading teams to deliver solutions that connect students, employers, and universities to deliver education at an affordable price, ultimately changing the landscape for how we think about delivering education products to learners across the country.
As Director of Data Engineering you will:
- Lead a team of data engineers focused on solving data engineering problems, discussing data architecture improvements, leaning in from a technical perspective or helping the team to design a new on-call support rotation
- Help develop meaningful culture, vision, and strategy for the data engineering team, ensuring key results are met while also promoting teamwork and high standards
- Recruit, hire and cultivate a team of data engineers building high quality data products – ensuring a pipeline full of top engineering talent in order to double the size of the engineering organization this year
- Weigh tradeoffs and have in-depth discussions with engineers on the nuances of complex data engineering systems - within the context of technologies such as Scala, Kinesis, Redshift, Snowflake, DynamoDB or Postgres
- Continuously improve “how we organize” and “how we work” with agility in the engineering organization as our teams scale up
- Plan and allocate resources appropriately between horizontal technology and vertical teams
- Work closely with all levels of cross-functional teams to solve and prioritize business problems
- Help to form a career ladder and discussing career path options with engineers to ensure team members are maximizing their potential
In addition to working with the Data Engineering team, in this role you will collaborate with other Guild leaders including: Jess Rusin (SVP Engineering), Bijal Shah (Chief Products and Analytics Officer), and Emily Nava (Director of Data & Analytics).
You are a strong fit for this role if:
- You have experience leading a data engineering organization through several evolutions of process and organization
- You have exceptional communication skills; excellent written, oral, interpersonal, and presentation skills and an ability to interface with senior management and executives
- You have a proven track record of setting clear objectives and key results for teams and direct reports while allowing the team autonomy to execute
- You’re an outstanding people manager who has coached, influenced and grown other engineers, engineering managers and leaders
- You collaborate well with other technology leaders to craft a powerful long-term technical vision and help the team set pragmatic goals to meet it
- You have excellent knowledge of modern data technologies and best practices for data streaming solutions, ETL and storage
- You are able to form excellent partnerships with engineers to problem solve, design and architect solutions; leaning on your technical depth in modern data technologies
- You have a demonstrated curiosity and interest in keeping up with new technologies and engineering management best practices – you enjoy networking with peers, reading, etc. and want to share information back with the team
- You have experience in fast-growth, venture backed startups
- You have a passion for higher education and our mission – Guild is pioneering a new path for education as a benefit in a complicated and regulated space – success means quickly learning the landscape and effectively adapting your expertise
Guild is increasing economic mobility for working adults by partnering with the largest employers in the country to offer education as a benefit to their employees via our marketplace of nonprofit universities and education institutions. Guild’s proprietary technology platform facilitates the administration of this innovative benefit and our team of coaches helps each employee navigate the path back to school, providing individualized support from day one through program completion. Fast Company recently named Guild as one of the World’s Most Innovative Companies and we've raised over $70 million from top tier investors including Felicis, Bessemer, Redpoint, Salesforce and Workday (among other social impact and VC partners!).