DevOps Engineering Manager at Pie Insurance
| Greater Denver Area | Remote
Sorry, this job was removed at 11:26 a.m. (MST) on Thursday, August 26, 2021
Pie Insurance is an insurtech company tackling meaningful problems. At Pie, we work with small businesses using technology and innovation to improve how they access insurance. Like our small business clients, we are a diverse team of builders, dreamers, and entrepreneurs. So, at the heart of every decision we make is the idea that if it doesn’t serve our clients, it doesn’t serve us.
You will be responsible for maintaining, designing, and automating our DevOps processes. This position works on deliverables directly, while also managing a team of DevOps Engineers. The DevOps Engineering Manager provides knowledge, guidance and resources to ensure on time delivery of products.
Today, all Pie-oneers are working remotely and will continue to do so until it is safe to return to the office. As a remote team member, you will be expected to be available for meetings with team members in other time zones and have access to reliable, high-speed internet.
In this role, you will report to the Director, Platform Engineering within our Engineering team based in Denver or Washington, DC. This role will work in our Denver or DC office once our office re-opens. However, we will consider this role for continued remote work once our offices reopen with up to 15% travel to Denver or Washington, DC.
How You'll Do It
- Hands on technical development work and work as a DevOps Engineer
- Guide documentation processes and create operating procedures.
- Focus on automation directing workflow and prioritization of duties and tasks.
- Responsible for managing and operations of the cloud environment.
- Design and architect infrastructure systems.
- Focus is centered on automation, security, configuration, documentation, optimization, and operational support.
- Leading and managing the team and making sure deliverables are managed.
- Provide technical guidance and thought leadership.
- Leadership, Mentoring and Coaching
- Identify hiring needs and be the hiring manager for recruiting high quality engineers.
- Build a team with skills that will allow the team to scale with the company.
- Support, mentor, and coach as well as provide professional development for your team. Provide continuous feedback and opportunities for career development.
- Responsible from a technology standpoint to make sure things are working right for technical production.
- Organizing the team and making sure they are assigned the right tasks for capabilities.
- Working through conflict management needs and team member relations needs with the help and direction from the People Team and your manager.
- Work collaboratively with the People Partner throughout the team member lifecycle, including, but not limited to hiring, onboarding, performance management, team member relations, and offboarding.
The Right Stuff
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent experience with some college coursework is preferred.
- 8 years of technical experience in software development life cycle preferred.
- 3 years of leadership experience (lead teams, task force, project deliverable responsibilities with team members).
- Highly technical and deep AWS knowledge and experience (required).
- Understanding of common software and web application security vulnerabilities.
- Solid understanding of Infrastructure architecture.
- Expertise in implementing static and dynamic analysis tools, open source scanning tools and integrating security into a CI/CD pipeline at scale.
- Expertise in application development frameworks, build systems and ability to integrate tools into the CI/CD infrastructure.
- Experience with continuous integration tools such as Jenkins, Octopus, TeamCity, AWS CodePipeline, CodeDeploy, CodeBuild, etc.
- Expert knowledge and experience working with AWS infrastructure and services.
- Experience working with containerization tools (Docker, AWS ECS Fargate, Kubernetes).
- Experience with infrastructure-as-code tools (CloudFormation, Terraform).
- Experience with observability tools for application monitoring and system diagnostics (Prometheus, AWS Cloudwatch, AWS X-Ray, ELK stack).
- G-Suite Tools, Collaboration tools (slack is preferred), basic office machines.
- Skills managing and directing work teams - demonstrated experience of managing others as well as being self-directed working toward achieving results.
- Experience mentoring peers and/or direct reports on their technical ability is preferred.
- Advanced communication (written, verbal and presentation) skills, to deliver complex information effectively and align people with the needs of the project/team.
- Intermediate problem solving skills to be able to manage complex tasks and work through to solutions with little guidance and direction.
- Advanced awareness of workflow, and project tradeoffs to make decisions based on needs now and into the future.
- Advanced leadership skills with experience leading large or technical teams through complex deliverables.
- Ability to multitask and prioritize workflows is highly desirable.
- Competitive salary
- A piece of the Pie (in the form of stock options)
- Comprehensive health plans
- Generous PTO
- Paid sick leave
- Future focused 401k match
- Our core values are more than just a poster on the wall; they’re tangibly reflected in our work and recognized with our monthly culture award.
- Generous parental leave
Compensation & Benefits
Our goal is to make all aspects of working with us as easy as Pie. That includes our offer process. When we have identified talent that is a good fit for Pie, we work hard to present an equitable and fair offer. We look at your knowledge, skills and experience along with your compensation expectations and align that with our company equity processes to determine our offer ranges.
We value and want to support our team members, and are proud to offer a comprehensive compensation package which includes the following:
Compensation Range for position: $165,000 - $194,000
Pie Insurance is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, disability, national or ethnic origin, military service status, citizenship, or other protected characteristic.
Pie Insurance participates in the E-Verify program. Please click here, here and here for more information.
Pie Insurance Named a Top Colorado Company 2020
Pie is rated Excellent by our customers on Trustpilot
Check out our great reviews from current and former employees on Glassdoor
Pie raises an additional $127M in funding