Vertafore is a leading technology company whose innovative software solution are advancing the insurance industry. Our suite of products provides solutions to our customers that help them better manage their business, boost their productivity and efficiencies, and lower costs while strengthening relationships.
Our mission is to move InsurTech forward by putting people at the heart of the industry. We are leading the way with product innovation, technology partnerships, and focusing on customer success.
Our fast-paced and collaborative environment inspires us to create, think, and challenge each other in ways that make our solutions and our teams better.
We are headquartered in Denver, Colorado, with offices across the U.S., Canada, and India.
Vertafore is looking for a DevOps Engineer II to join a dynamic, growing DevOps team.
At Vertafore we work with a diverse set of systems and technologies. You'll get a chance to help advance our DevOps practice within the company. This will include automating infrastructure deployments (with Terraform), collaborating with development teams to implement state of the art Build and Deployment Pipelines (moving to GitLab), and defining the future of DevOps within Vertafore.
Our DevOps team is responsible for supporting multiple products and development teams in automating infrastructure, build pipelines, deployment, and production support. Some days we're working closely with development teams to learn their pain points and coming up with creative (and hopefully automated) solutions. Some days we're working on making sure our build and release pipelines are working well and releasing quality code as quickly as possible. Some days we are working on production issues that directly impact our customers. Working at Vertafore gives you a chance to learn and use a wide variety of skills while working side by side with some amazing people.
Our technology stack is largely Windows based, with most of our code being writing in C#. We also work with some Linux systems, predominantly a RedHat variant.
Over the next year, we'll be working on several initiatives including:
- Moving our source to GitLab
- Working with development teams to implement a world class development processes
- Rebuilding and improving build pipelines for maximum value
- Automating both infrastructure and code deployment (both in our Data Center and in AWS)
- Implementing monitoring and alerting to identify when we have issues.
Essential job functions included but are not limited to the following:
- Automate manual processes (build, configuration, security)
- Implement Continuous Deployment (CD) and Continuous Integration (CI) to promote changes across environments.
- Provision infrastructure using tools such as CloudFormation and Terraform
- Write automated tests across applications and infrastructure to validate functionality which run continuously
- Design metrics to track system reliability and alerts through CloudWatch and Prometheus
- Work across teams to integrate, configure, manage and support production systems
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Skills and Technologies that we use regularly:
- General Usage and Administration
- Linux (CentOS, Ubuntu)
- SQL Server
- AWS (S3, EBS, EC2, ELB/ALB, VPC)
Skills and Technologies that we will be moving toward:
- Linux (CentOS, Ubuntu)
- Container technologies (Docker, Kubernetes, etc.)
- Even more AWS
Skills and Technologies that are good to know (we don't use these much, but knowledge about them and how they work will help you in this role):
- Infrastructure provisioning Tools
- Configuration Management Tools
- Puppet, Chef, Ansible
- Deep System Administration Experience
- Linux, Windows
- 1-3 years experience working in a DevOps or Software Development role
- Knowledge of Infrastructure Provisioning Tools (Terraform, CloudFormation, or similar)
- Experience using a configuration management tool (Chef, Ansible, Puppet or similar). They have similar goals, so experience in any of these is great. You should be able to explain the difference between Chef, Terraform, and Packer and where each might be useful.
- 1-2 years working with a cloud provider (AWS, Azure, GCP). You should understand the services they offer, why they might be used, and tradeoffs between different solutions. You can answer "what's the difference between S3 and EBS" or "what would you use Elastic Beanstalk for"?
- Experience putting together build pipelines (Jenkins, GitLab, TFS, TeamCity, etc…). You've worked with developers to help them put together great build pipelines that facilitate fast delivery of high quality code.
- Scripting ability (Python, Powershell, Bash). We mostly use Python, but we quite often work with Powershell and Bash as well. You should know at least one scripting language well.
- Excitement around DevOps. We're very excited about the journey we're on, and we want you to be as well.
Additional Requirements and Details:
- Travel required up to 10% of the time
- Located and working from an office location
- Occasional lifting and/or moving up to 10 pounds
- Frequent repetitive hand and arm movements required to operate a computer
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision (working on a computer, etc.)
- Frequent sitting and/or standing
*Our offices are currently closed due to COVID19.
The Vertafore Way
Insurance is about relationships, and technology should make those relationships stronger. That's why, at Vertafore, it's our mission to transform the way the industry operates by putting people at the heart of insurance technology. By focusing on our customers, becoming better every day, and delivering results you can see, we provide the level of trust and security that insurance is all about.
· Bias to Action: We're united by an innate drive to take action and make a difference in the technology and insurance spaces.
· Win Together: We work together as one team, showing empathy and respect along the way.
· Show Up Curious: We work to challenge one another to push boundaries and think beyond the box.
· Say It, Do It: We honor every one of our commitments because integrity is important to us.
· Customer Success is Our Success: We cultivate authentic relationships and follow up by actively listening to their needs.
· We Love Insurance: We appreciate the impact insurance has on the world.