DevOps Engineer I
Zayo Group Holdings, Inc. (NYSE: ZAYO) provides communications infrastructure solutions, including fiber and bandwidth connectivity, colocation and cloud infrastructure to the world’s leading businesses. Customers include wireless and wireline carriers, media and content companies, cloud providers, finance and professional services and other large enterprises. Zayo provides customers with flexible solutions and self-service through Tranzact, an innovative online platform for managing and purchasing bandwidth.
The DevOps Engineer I collaborates with software developers, quality assurance analysts, project managers, and other IT staff members to manage code releases and develop/maintain/improve the system platform and infrastructure, with a focus on automation of continuous integration/continuous delivery processes. The DevOps Engineer I possesses the general qualifications of a junior software developer but with a specific DevOps focus. The DevOps Engineer I will be expected to perform and participate in the following responsibilities with guidance from senior level architects and engineers.
- Support building new systems environments, and upgrading/patching existing ones, through the use of automation tooling; build and test automation tools for infrastructure provisioning.
- Design and implement build, deployment, and configuration management; build, maintain, and monitor configuration standards.
- Build, maintain and manage continuous integration (CI) and continuous delivery (CD) tools.
- Handle code deployments in all environments.
- Formulate and develop new ideas to improve development delivery.
- Develop ways to monitor system metrics, and improve system performance.
- Develop and improve best practices in development, release processes; document and design various processes; update existing processes.
- Provide technical guidance and educate team members and coworkers on development and operations.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, technical trade school, or equivalent experience in a programming or analytical discipline.
- The ideal candidate should be self-motivated, have a strong attention to detail, and possess a passion for delivering a high quality product for stakeholders. Adaptability, good communication skills and a company and team first approach are required to be successful in our evolving and highly collaborative environment. The candidate should be a problem solver, with an eye to the bigger picture and an awareness to make decisions with the best interest of Zayo in mind, ultimately taking ownership and responsibility for actions and outcomes.
- We strive to make our systems and processes better. To that end, we expect an awareness to identify and address issues before they become problems. We expect curiosity, a passion for continued and self-directed learning, as well as good reading and comprehension skills.
- 0-2 years of experience in a DevOps or related role may indicate readiness, but must demonstrate preceding role proficiency and a high degree of competency in the following areas:
- Algorithms, data structures, data modeling, and distributed systems
- Software development methodologies including overall roles, processes, stages, and value proposition of the software development life cycle (SDLC)
- Git workflow including general code management, branching, committing, and merging
- One or more technologies or programming languages
- A functional business process that an IT system supports
Demonstrated ability to
- Work effectively within the software development lifecycle as an individual contributor
- Take direction easily from more experienced team members, listen to alternate ideas, and discuss the merit of those ideas.
- Troubleshoot, identify and resolve intermediate issues in a timely manner.
- Take full accountability of written code and practice test-driven development and defensive programming to create a more stable deliverable.
- Recognize, understand, and adhere to existing code patterns within a project.
- Propose and deliver a working solution after analyzing a problem statement by breaking it down into logical components.
- Participate in code reviews and peer-programming sessions and use feedback to learn and develop skills progressively.
- Proactively ask for assistance when hindered by road blocks or requirement issues.
- Competitive compensation
- Excellent benefits including health, dental, vision, 401 (k), disability and life insurance
- Fitness membership discounts
- Generous paid time off policy including paid parental leave