DevOps Engineer - Data Platform
Xero is here to help make running a small business beautiful. We're building an advanced platform for small businesses which allows them to manage their finances and much much more.
Founded in New Zealand and publicly traded on the Australian stock exchange, Xero has more than 1.6 million paying customers in over 150 countries. 600+ software products integrate with our API, providing a huge variety of functionality to our users. We have 2,000+ passionate team-members doing beautiful work in 17 offices across the globe, including New Zealand, Australia, United Kingdom, United States, Canada, Asia and South Africa.
Xero was ranked No. 1 by Forbes as the World's Most Innovative Growth Company two years running; Glassdoor named us one of the top 15 best SaaS companies in the world; and Canstar Blue has ranked us Australia's best accounting software company for four consecutive years (2015-2018).
About the role
Based in Denver, you will be part of the of the Cloud Data platform team, a cross-functional agile infrastructure development team. Our goal is to create a platform that provides database-as-a-service solutions in AWS to Xero product development teams in a highly automated fashion. You will write API-first software to deploy, monitor, and maintain Xero's core database platform.
You will also play a role in ensuring the products that this cross-functional team are responsible for are available, secure, scalable, robust, high performing and cost effective to serve both Xero customers and partners.
It would be great for you to have experience with relevant technologies used throughout the software development lifecycle. Source control systems (git), build systems (such as TeamCity or Jenkins), deployment tooling (including AWS CodeDeploy, Octopus Deploy, etc) and monitoring tools (like Cloudwatch and New Relic).
What you'll do
- Develop continuous delivery pipelines and software tools to automate cloud-based database solutions
- Create and maintain APIs, website frontends, and command line tools
- Automate and support database infrastructure in AWS with infrastructure-as-code solutions
- Continuously improve processes and solutions to be scalable and highly available
- Implement detection and alerting of anomalous behaviours
- Work with internal customers including product team developers, architects, product owners, database administrators and site reliability engineers to understand their database platform needs and build software tools to enable developer productivity
- Work with the team to take operational responsibility for their services and to establish processes and monitoring which drives incremental improvement
- Provide 24x7 on call support as required
What you'll bring with you
- 3+ years hands-on experience automating infrastructure in a cloud environment, preferably Amazon Web Services
- Practical experience with infrastructure-as-code (with tools like Powershell, Cloudformation, Terraform, Ansible, Chef, etc.)
- Experience with an object-oriented programming language (like Python, C#, Java, etc.)
- Understanding of REST APIs
- Knowledge of relational database systems and concepts (SQL Server, PostgreSQL, etc.)
- Experience administering Windows servers in a highly available environment
- Familiarity with agile software development methodology and tooling, including continuous integration and continuous delivery
- A strong desire to automate processes, build software tools, and create infrastructure-as-code solutions in a DevOps environment
- Exceptional troubleshooting and analytical abilities
…then we'd love to hear from you.
Xero is an Equal Opportunity Employer